Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
An artist/neighbor of mine just gave me an Epson 7600 printer. She stated that she hadn't used it for a couple of years because she only wants to sell original artworks. I'm wondering if there is anything I should do before attempting to make a print with it. Should I clean anything manually before doing a nozzle check, etc.? Do the ink cartridges make a sloshing sound when shaken if the ink is OK? I haven't downloaded the drivers yet. I've never used a printer of this size or style, so I can sure use help. Thanks for all your advice!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would definitely do a nozzle check, probably several times and then if needed do a head cleaning. the inks are going to be expired but they may still work. there could be some color shift due to the old ink. My Epson 3800 turns a bit toward the greenish side when the inks get way too old.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:17 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Royce Howland on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:02 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
If it has been sitting idle for 2 years, and given that this is a 7600 which was already old to begin with, there's quite possibly some maintenance needed on it beyond just checking the state of the inks and running nozzle checks. Big printers like this are built to be used; 2 years of downtime may have impacted other components involved in ink delivery, head cleaning, etc.

Make small test prints on cheap paper before you plan to do anything larger for real. If results of nozzle checks don't look good or other problems appear, and routine cleanings don't correct it, you may need some involved assistance to diagnose and fix whatever is going on...
Royce Howland

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:10 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Royce!

Joe

5 posts |