Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Robert on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
After a long layoff, I'm finally getting ready to fire back up my trusty old Epson 2200 to make prints and need to buy more ink. But I haven't bought any in years. Where and who has the best prices these days? Atlex has them for $11.51 per + UPS S&H. Some of my previous suppliers are quite high in their prices and Amazon's pricing seems all over the place.
Any suggestions appreciated (except I'm not buying a new printer as it's not in the budget). :)

Thanks,
Robert

by Steven Major on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:29 pm
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
You may want to purchase ink that is returnable. A printer that was stored for years could have ink dried up in the print heads, and that would be a big problem. Happened to me. Good Luck.

by Robert on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
STEVENMAJOR wrote:You may want to purchase ink that is returnable. A printer that was stored for years could have ink dried up in the print heads, and that would be a big problem. Happened to me. Good Luck.

I'm hoping that since it was stored in a humid environment it will be ok. During that time of storage I fired it up now and then and it was ok each time. I have heard that humid environments were easier on the printer heads than arid ones for the print heads drying up issue. I'm only out of one ink (lt cyan) and am thinking I might try it with putting a second cyan in the lt cyan place just to check out the printer head issue. But, I realize the Epson electronics may not let me get away with that. Or I'll try printing something without any lt cyan just to try it out. If neither of those work I'll just get the lt cyan cartridge to see how well the printer still works, and that may be my best choice for now.

Thanks,
Robert

by Charlie Woodrich on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:56 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Atlex is who I use.

by bradmangas on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:21 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Even though you see multiple suppliers on Amazon I have always found Amazon to be the cheapest when purchasing Genuine oem ink. Many times by 20% or more. If you make a purchase just know who you are buying from. If is states, shipped from and sold by Amazon then your fine. Or many other reputable online companies sell through Amazon. It always tell you who the seller is.

With a prime account I can purchase ink on a Sunday afternoon from Amazon and have it at my front door Tuesday Morning and still save 20% or more on the cost from most other online distributors. I just checked on the ink I use regularly at Altex and compared it to what I can order it today from Amazon for, Altex $119.00 plus $11.53 s&h. Amazon $99.90 free two day shipping (with a prime account). Obviously the prime membership will only save you money if you use Amazon somewhat regularly. But this one transaction is a $30 plus difference. Amazon can be a real pain on some things but if you know exactly what you want and what it should cost it's hard if not impossible to beat.

by signgrap on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:19 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I buy my Epson 4800 inks at Hunt's Photo. Most times I order they have free shipping it varies however.
Dick Ludwig

by Robert on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:14 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:I buy my Epson 4800 inks at Hunt's Photo. Most times I order they have free shipping it varies however.

At $11.99 each (Epson 2200 inks) with free shipping at Hunts, that's the best price I can find so far.

Thanks,
Robert

by Primus on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I was an Atlex or Amazon buyer too, for inks for my Epson 9900 and 3880. However, I recently discovered Shades of Paper (www.shadesofpaper.com). Frustrated with severe curling of my prints as they rolled off the printer, I did a search and found the De-Roller on their website. Ordered it on Monday at 4PM and it was at my door on Tuesday by 5 PM. Amazing service. The owner emailed me to ask if I had any needs for paper or ink. I decided to give him a try a few days later and ordered some ink carts. Again, cheaper than Amazon and delivery within 24 hrs.

They sell a lot of products, including 3-D and large format printers, looks like a good alternative.

BTW, the De-Roller works just as advertised. Fantastic product if you need it. It works much better with thicker, fine-art paper than thin glossy type where you may need to do it twice.

Pradeep

8 posts |