All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Bob Ettinger on Sat May 10, 2014 3:59 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Needed to replace a cartridge that was out of ink.  Took out the old VLM cartridge and inserted the new one. The printer gives me an error saying it can't recognize the cartridge and re-insert it. That does not work. If I reinsert the old cartridge it sees it and tells me it is out of ink and get a new one. Then try reinserting the new cartridge and get the same "this cartridge is not recognized".

Tried calling Epson support but keeping getting a busy signal.

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by Royce Howland on Sat May 10, 2014 10:30 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
It's a bad cartridge, almost certainly. Return it to where you bought it for replacement, if possible. Otherwise contact Epson support (if the phone ever rings through) to arrange for a warranty replacement.
Royce Howland

by Bob Ettinger on Sun May 11, 2014 6:23 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Royce,

Thanks that was what I thought but was hoping for another suggestion. Will call them on Monday

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by pleverington on Sun May 11, 2014 6:54 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
If your cartridge gets a bubble stuck in the feed channel this can happen. The simple fix is to draw a small amount of ink out by inserting a medium size syringe in the hole, push back the spring and ball, and draw off some fluid and the bubble at the same time. You might have to angle the syringe a bit to keep it from sealing down to the rubber plug. (Syringe without needle of course). I have had this happen many times.

Or it could be a defective cart as Royce says. Bad chip possibly. If you bought it locally and it's easy enough to take back well that would be the thing to do and not mess. But if a syringe is handy it might get you up and going today....

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Bob Ettinger on Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Paul,

Thanks for that idea. I removed the cartridge and gently shook it, that resulted in ink on the towel so I think that means that ink supply is not the problem but the chip is.

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by pleverington on Sun May 11, 2014 7:29 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I shouldn't think you would get ink coming out of a cartridge by shaking it Bob. They have a check vale that prevents that. However since you did you may have a bad seal because of a defective rubber plug(I have seen this also), or the plug is seating itself cockeyed. Insertion of something like a syringe tip might right the plug and get it to seat properly. And if your leaking fluid, then air certainly can get in too and still be the villian here. good luck...

Paul
Paul Leverington

by Bob Ettinger on Sun May 11, 2014 8:46 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Paul,

Thanks for the follow-up explanation. I will have to try to get a syringe and go from there

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by Royce Howland on Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
If the printer is saying it can't recognize the cartridge, almost 100% this has nothing to do with the valves, air bubbles, etc. Those are all purely physical / mechanical issues. The Epson 3000 model isn't sophisticated enough to be trying to detect actually ink line levels, pressures, etc.

In the event of an ink supply problem, I believe the printer would recognize the cartridge but you'd simply get no ink from it, or spotty supply. If the printer can't recognize the cart it's most likely a bad chip or a bad connection between the printer and the cart chip that is foxing the electronics that attempt to make sure you've got the right carts mounted.

By all means experiment, since it could be a good way to learn something useful for now or the future. But from the description IMO your sure bet is make a point-of-sale exchange or Epson warranty return claim. Especially if the cart is actually leaking ink. Carts should not be DOA upon initial use, nor leaking. I personally would not attempt to use it further, I'd just get it exchanged...
Royce Howland

by pleverington on Mon May 12, 2014 2:42 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Your correct Royce in your analysis but FWIW on my 9900 there is  exactly a problem if one has an air bubble and it prevents the printer from reading the chip and it most definitely will not  recognize the cartridge. I wouldn't have thought so either but after turning on the printer which was inactive for a pretty longtime 3 carts were not recognized. "Burping" all 3 fixed the problem right away..Like I say this surprised me too...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/pros.shtml

But honestly--I have no idea if this could be the problem with a model 3000...

Paul
Paul Leverington

by Bob Ettinger on Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Thanks for all the ideas. Got a new cartridge and all is well. Also called Epson and they are replacing what appears to be a bad cartridge

Thanks again

Bob
Bob Ettinger

10 posts |