Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by Charlie Woodrich on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:03 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Steve - yes please let us know how they turn out.

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:04 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Lerkes wrote:Charlie - I am ordering the same print (16x20) canvas wrap from WHCC, Costco, and GC Pro prints.  I have already received my 5 free test prints from WHCC and I was very impressed with the colors and quality.   I will let you know how they compare when I get them back.

Steve

Steve - what did you conclude?

by Lerkes on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:23 pm
Lerkes
Lifetime Member
Member #:00178
Charlie - The canvas wrap from WHCC was the best quality and matched my monitor very well, but it cost about $90. The print from Costco was almost as good as the WHCC print but did not have the paper backing on the back side. It cost me about $30 with a coupon for $10 off. The GC Pro Print was good but had a slight yellow cast to it and it's price was between Costco and WHCC. I will be using Costco for most of my canvas prints in the future because of their good prices and quality. Give them a try and let me know what you think. I had a 16 x 20 sized canvas wrap made from all 3 of the same image. If price was no object I'd go with the WHCC. Steve
Steven J Berkowitz, VMD
Kirkwood, PA
http://www.pbase.com/lerkes

by Kari Post on Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 am
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
Canvas on Demand. They have a pro printing account that is very easy to set up and gives you added discounts on products. The products are very high quality and extremely affordable. In fact, I have had better luck with spot on colors with Canvas on Demand than with ordering prints (using companies such as WHCC, Bay Photo, and MPix) - I kind of wish they produced prints because they would absolutely be my go to printer then.

I have ordered at least a dozen or so gallery wraps from them in the past couple of years and the products are fantastic every time. Customer service is excellent and the ordering process is very easy. I just had them drop ship a 40x60 inch gallery wrap to a client and the client is absolutely thrilled with the piece. Highly recommended!
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by pleverington on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Just about any image I have printed out needed some tweaking to optimize the results. Usually three prints or more to get things right. This is very difficult to do using third party print houses. Not to say you won't get a good, maybe even great printed image, but each and every image is different and will have unique needs to wring out that last ten percent or so of pop and power. It can be very subtle for sure at times, but I swear these subtle adjustments on some images make all the difference between real nice and mind blowing..all without the conscious mind knowing about it. The acid test is when you put one print next to the other print. And don't believe "what you don't know(or see) won't hurt you" Trust me it makes a difference.

For example with epson exhibition fibre paper I can discern differences in black tones all the way down easily to 4-4-4 and by looking hard and tilting the print a certain way all the way down to the difference between 1 and 2. If you buy a print, canvas, or otherwise, and the image your getting printed is heavy with blacks that you don't want to loose, and they print your print on anything else but exhibition, you'll never know. But put the two together and you will have night and day on a lot of images. My neighbor who was looking to buy a black and white image from me was going through all the prints I made of the same image on 6 different papers and guess which one he overwhelmingly and immediately was grabbed by??

Just saying, and depends on how much this all matters to you. But a local printer might be your best shot at getting all out of an image that can be, at least more so than some printing house in another state doing mass quantity. Or one could proof using a smaller printer maybe and send this info with instructions to the printing house. Not their fault.... it's just the nature of the beast.

Giclee in fact has lost all meaning if it really ever had one ....

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

25 posts |