Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by DarkSide on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 am
DarkSide
Forum Contributor
My  local shop had some on sale so I picked up a pack. It wasn't until I get home that I found that framing this size, or even matting this size is a pain! Do they sell "normal" frames and matting for this? What's my best prinitng option using this size? I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100 right now, and also outsource.  Any info would be great!

Also, what is the deal with sensor size? I shoot a 5d Mk III.  Why aren't sensors configured like standard paper size?!
Life is short - shoot good glass!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You might also ask "why aren't paper sized like sensors?"  Printing has always involved cropping an image since the dawn of photography.  There's no rule that says you can't crop your photo to conform to any dimensions you want.

As for that paper size, that is the worldwide standard A3 paper size.  If you want to print a full, uncropped 35mm format print on it, you would select 10x15.  It is also a good paper for printing 8x12 which also conforms to your camera's sensor size. 

If you are printing to standard frame sizes, this is the paper you would use for 10x13 or 11x14 sized prints.  Here is a table of standard frame sizes, if printing to any of these simply select the next size up paper:
http://www.logangraphic.com/how-to/framesizes.php

by DarkSide on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am
DarkSide
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the awesome info!
Life is short - shoot good glass!

by Dizzy on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:41 pm
Dizzy
Forum Contributor
LShooter wrote:My  local shop had some on sale so I picked up a pack. It wasn't until I get home that I found that framing this size, or even matting this size is a pain! Do they sell "normal" frames and matting for this? What's my best prinitng option using this size? I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100 right now, and also outsource.  Any info would be great!

Also, what is the deal with sensor size? I shoot a 5d Mk III.  Why aren't sensors configured like standard paper size?!
I hear you on the sensor size. I shot medium format for years, 6X7cm and 6X45cm and got spoiled buy the lack of cropping. But 35mm has always been 35 mm and now with the DSLR's you just gotta prep a touch! Heck, you thinks it bad try shooting the old square format of the Hasselblads of which I still shoot on occasion for my commercial work.  But EJ hit the nail on the head!!
National Geographic Society (Retired)

Arts N Images ---- Bird and Blooms Blog

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." Ansel Adams

by Royce Howland on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:03 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Very little ever really matches up. There are many sensor / film sizes and aspect ratios, and there are many paper sizes and aspect ratios. It's impossible for them all to match all the time. Just crop your images however they need to be, and then print them on whatever size of paper will fit. Trim off the excess and then do your mounting, matting and framing as need be.

If you want to use only so-called "standard" sizes of frames and so on then something else will have to change because neither your camera sensor nor many common papers are made in the "standard" sizes or aspect ratios. That's the thing about "standards" -- there are so many to choose from. :)

Personally I custom frame everything. The only standard I have is how I want my photos to look. :)
Royce Howland

5 posts |