« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Professional on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
Hey,

I would like to know what is the size of paper you mostly print for your pics larger than A4? I have a printer that can print up to 17" wide, so the options of paper size i can go with [in stock] are: 11x17", 11.7x16.5", 13x19", 16.5x23.4", 17x22" and 17x25", what do you recommend?

Also what type of paper you mostly use? I prefer or my favorite is Luster so far, but i can go with other options if it can be better.
Tareq Alhamrani

by RoyH on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am
RoyH
Forum Contributor
Tareq,

I mostly print using 13x19 papers. On this paper I can get two 8x12 prints, a single 12x18, or easily cut it down to smaller sizes if needed. 13x19 also seems to fit a reasonable price point. For the occasional larger print, 16x20 or 16x24 I would prefer to use 17x25 but this size is only available in a few paper types so the 17x22 is used, which of course limits you to 16x20. I also occasional use the pano papers from Red River paper in a 13x38 size.

As far as paper type, as I am sure you know this is very subjective. I do find myself going to luster quite often, luster papers have a good dynamic range and show detail very well. My primary luster papers are Epson Ultra Premium Luster and Moab Lasal Exhibition Luster, both very nice papers in my opinion. I do also print quite a bit on the Moab Entrada Bright and Natural papers also and as mentioned above use some of the Red River papers, primarily in luster surfaces, as that are also very good and less expensive than the Epson or Moab papers. The main reason I primarily use Epson and Moab papers is because that are stocked in several local photography stores and thus are easily available.

I believe that are many quality papers available today and I would suggest you take the time and effort to purchase sample packs from the paper manufacturers you are interested in and produce yourself a library of the various paper types as a guide to selecting the paper that best suits your image. I maintain a library of the all the papers available from Moab, Epson, and Red River myself.

Good Luck
Roy H
[url]http://www.reflectivephoto.net[/url]

Last edited by RoyH on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Professional on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
RoyH wrote:Tareq,

I mostly print using 13x19 papers. On this paper I can get two 12x18 prints or easily cut it down to smaller sizes if needed. 13x19 also seems to fit a reasonable price point. For the occasional larger print, 16x20 or 16x24 I would prefer to use 17x25 but this size is only available in a few paper types so the 17x22 is after used, which of course limits you to 16x20. I also occasional use the pano papers from Red River paper in a 13x38 size.

As far as paper type, as I am sure you know this is very subjective. I do find myself going to luster quite often, luster papers have a good dynamic range and show detail very well. My primary luster papers are Epson Ultra Premium Luster and Moab Lasal Exhibition Luster, both very nice papers in my opinion. I do also print quite a bit on the Moab Entrada Bright and Natural papers also and as mentioned above use some of the Red River papers, primarily in luster surfaces, as that are also very good and less expensive than the Epson or Moab papers. The main reason I primarily use Epson and Moab papers is because that are stocked in several local photography stores and thus are easily available.

I believe that are many quality papers available today and I would suggest you take the time and effort to purchase sample packs from the paper manufacturers you are interested in and produce yourself a library of the various paper types as a guide to selecting the paper that best suits your image. I maintain a library of the all the papers available from Moab, Epson, and Red River myself.

Good Luck
Thank you very much Roy!

Actually i have different sizes paper including 17x22", i too use Epson Ultra Premium Luster and HP and Kodak Semi Glossy papers, i did purchase those samples packs and difficult to put one favorite type, still Luster is my big fav but also i saw some kind of Matte paper that giving amazing details for portraits in B&W, but i forgot or can't remember that paper, will check out and see if i can find it.

Good you pointed on 13x19", i don't have this size yet, but it sounds a great size between 11x17 and 17x22/25 sizes, maybe i will give it a try.

A side question, don't you feel that glossy paper is better or you like more for landscapes photos than say Luster one? Maybe Luster is better or portraits and still life, or for you it doesn't matter what type of photography as long you prefer one type or paper finish to use it for all your photography?
Tareq Alhamrani

by hcarl on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am
hcarl
Forum Contributor
RoyH: How do you get 2 12x18 prints from a sheet of 13x19 paper? magic hcarl

by Mark Picard on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:21 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Professional wrote:Hey,

I would like to know what is the size of paper you mostly print for your pics larger than A4? I have a printer that can print up to 17" wide, so the options of paper size i can go with [in stock] are: 11x17", 11.7x16.5", 13x19", 16.5x23.4", 17x22" and 17x25", what do you recommend?

Also what type of paper you mostly use? I prefer or my favorite is Luster so far, but i can go with other options if it can be better.

You did not mention which printer you currently have, but I highly recommend using rolls instead of sheets (if you have that option) because it's much more convenient and cheaper to use in the long run. Papers are certainly subjective, and I suspect you'll receive many suggestions on that. I sell lots of 8"x12" matted prints in my gallery, and so far, as far as I know, Epson is the only manufacturer that makes 10" paper in a roll. Yeah ,they make 13" too, but the cost of a 13" roll (triple?) is much higher than a 10", so I get the 10" size and trim off the excess if I need to.

Half of my sales are 8"x12", followed by 13"x19", then 16"x24", followed by 20"x30". I do print much larger wrapped canvas prints in various sizes up to 36"x48", and panoramas from 12"x28" to 36"x 96".
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by RoyH on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:40 am
RoyH
Forum Contributor
hcarl wrote:RoyH:  How do you get 2 12x18 prints from a sheet of 13x19 paper?  magic   hcarl
Mistyped, I meant I get 2 8x12 prints...
Roy H

by RoyH on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 am
RoyH
Forum Contributor
Professional wrote:
RoyH wrote:Tareq,

I mostly print using 13x19 papers. On this paper I can get two 12x18 prints or easily cut it down to smaller sizes if needed. 13x19 also seems to fit a reasonable price point. For the occasional larger print, 16x20 or 16x24 I would prefer to use 17x25 but this size is only available in a few paper types so the 17x22 is after used, which of course limits you to 16x20. I also occasional use the pano papers from Red River paper in a 13x38 size.

Good Luck
Thank you very much Roy!

Actually i have different sizes paper including 17x22", i too use Epson Ultra Premium Luster and HP and Kodak Semi Glossy papers, i did purchase those samples packs and difficult to put one favorite type, still Luster is my big fav but also i saw some kind of Matte paper that giving amazing details for portraits in B&W, but i forgot or can't remember that paper, will check out and see if i can find it.

Good you pointed on 13x19", i don't have this size yet, but it sounds a great size between 11x17 and 17x22/25 sizes, maybe i will give it a try.

A side question, don't you feel that glossy paper is better or you like more for landscapes photos than say Luster one? Maybe Luster is better or portraits and still life, or for you it doesn't matter what type of photography as long you prefer one type or paper finish to use it for all your photography?
Tareq,

In general I do not realy like glossy papers so I rarely use them for my displayed prints. But, certain images certainly do 'pop' when printed on glossy surfaces. I have been experimenting with several of the metallic papers lately, especially for certain black and white images. In general I am finding it hard to say that a certain style of image fits a certain paper type. For me, I am finding that the paper a image is printed on can contribute to the overall impression of the image in ways I had not considered before. For example, I can print a Utah landscape on a luster paper and people viewing the print are struck with the overall detail and vibrant color of the image along with the scene. But if I print the same image on a fine art paper that are just as impressed with image but seem to be drawn more into the scene and a sense of being there, the technical details of sharpness and color do not get in the way of enjoying the subject. So in many cases I am beginning to make paper choices on how I what the subject of the image to be preceived.

Roy
Roy H

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use 17x25 for a 16x24 print on an Epson 3800. If I need to go bigger I outsource. Now that both my kids are gone I could turn one of their room into a printing studio and get a bigger printer I suppose like maybe a 7900. The 3800 was as big as I could go in my office.

by Professional on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:21 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Mark Picard wrote:
Professional wrote:Hey,

You did not mention which printer you currently have, but I highly recommend using rolls instead of sheets (if you have that option) because it's much more convenient and cheaper to use in the long run. Papers are certainly subjective, and I suspect you'll receive many suggestions on that. I sell lots of 8"x12" matted prints in my gallery, and so far, as far as I know, Epson is the only manufacturer that makes 10" paper in a roll. Yeah ,they make 13" too, but the cost of a 13" roll (triple?) is much higher than a 10", so I get the 10" size and trim off the excess if I need to.

Half of my sales are 8"x12", followed by 13"x19", then 16"x24", followed by 20"x30". I do print much larger wrapped canvas prints in various sizes up to 36"x48", and panoramas from 12"x28" to 36"x 96".
I have old Epson printer, 3800, great and i still love it until i can afford bigger if necessary, so i can't go with rolls, only sheets.

I also thought about rolls, i bought one pack of roll for 16" or 17" i can't remember, was thinking to buy another roll of 13", but i need to send for lab or buy a cutter to have sheets out of them, i also think it is a better spend over buying ready sheets, and for me it is not expensive buying 13x19" sheets, i bought 17x22" of Epson which is way more expensive than 13"19" papers.

About the type, i think i should stray with what i prefer, later if i see another paper type i like more or same fav as Luster then i can go for that too.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Professional on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:I use 17x25 for a 16x24 print on an Epson 3800.  If I need to go bigger I outsource.  Now that both my kids are gone I could turn one of their room into a printing studio and get a bigger printer I suppose like maybe a 7900.  The 3800 was as big as I could go in my office.
I was thinking about this size too for 16x24", common thinking, still holding on my 3800 as well.

I did read about 7900, but people who are reviewing it on B&H wishing to go bigger, so maybe i better think about 44" 9900 than 7900, i can find a space at home for either print, and i will never look back then.
Tareq Alhamrani

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't think I would need bigger than 20x30 or 24x36 prints. When my 3800 finally croaks, I think I'll get a 7900 or whatever the current pro Epson 24" printer is at the time.

by Professional on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
I was thinking the same, but i know that maybe one day i may think to go bigger than 24" wide prints, and with 44" printer i can go with any smaller prints size even 24", i was thinking to print 36" prints from my digital medium format to see the great details, if i buy once better it be bigger, but i can understand others may not need bigger prints.
Tareq Alhamrani

12 posts |