Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Ed K on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:15 am
Ed K
Forum Contributor
My 3880 wasn't used for a month or so & when I went to print last evening I received the above message. Printer is still under warranty until 11/13. This printers document count is only 144. Did a web search & found a thread over on DPreview site where others have had this error and it seems the only solution is to have the printer serviced. From what I read it seems this error is fatal & Epson will typically send a refurbished unit for exchange. Anyone else here encountered this? Any home remedies? Care to share your experience or tips regarding Epson service? Appreciate any help or insights before I call Epson on Monday. 

Thanks.  Ed

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If it's under warranty I certainly wouldn't try any home remedies but rather have it professionally serviced under warranty which usually extends your warranty.

by Ed K on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am
Ed K
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:If it's under warranty I certainly wouldn't try any home remedies but rather have it professionally serviced under warranty which usually extends your warranty.
100% agree with you EJ. I might have used better wording in looking for a known fix. Last thing I would do is jeopardize the warranty.

by RoyH on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:41 am
RoyH
Forum Contributor
Ed,

I am on my third 3880 because of this problem, it seems to be the a fairly common issue with this printer. I had two printers replaced under warranty with the problem and my current printer has started showing this error, but I can clear it every time by turning the printer on and off several times. This can be a real pain if it takes 4 or 5 power cycles as it takes several minutes each time the printer is powered up. Because of this I purchased the 3 year extended warranty so I will most likely exchange by current printer shortly also.

Try powering the printer on and off several times and it may clear the error, but by guess it will continue to show this error. I would also recommend exchanging the printer. Epson USA will overnight you a printer and then you put your current printer in the box and return.

Good Luck,

Roy
Roy H
[url]http://www.reflectivephoto.net[/url]

by Ed K on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:06 pm
Ed K
Forum Contributor
Thanks Roy - followed your advise with turning it on & off a few times & the error has not returned. Printed several images & the output is perfect. I'm still concerned the error may return so I'll keep an eye on it for a couple weeks then decide next steps (warranty is up in November). Seems it's not a good idea to let these printers sit for an extended period. When the 3880 acted up I pulled out my old 2200, ran a clean cycle twice & it printed like new after sitting since November. Ed

by Ed K on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 pm
Ed K
Forum Contributor
Just to close this out I spoke with Epson & they overnighted a refurb replacement for my printer, complete with a new ink set. They provided everything to send my original printer back to them that included free shipping. The first printer I received did have a broken front feed & when I called Epson they said they would overnight another printer & for my inconvenience keep the new ink set. The 2nd replacement arrived in good working order with another complete ink set.

My kudos to Epson customer service.

by RoyH on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 am
RoyH
Forum Contributor
Ed,

That has been the same experience I have had with replacing my previous 3880's because of this problem. I also received a refurbished unit in bad condition and call them and told them I wouldn't accept the printer and they had no issues with replacement and had me keep the ink set, in fact I still have two free complete sets of ink waiting to be used because of issues with replacement printers.

Roy
Roy H
[url]http://www.reflectivephoto.net[/url]

by Ed K on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am
Ed K
Forum Contributor
Unfortunately now awaiting the 4th replacement as the 3rd refurb unit also had a failure. This is really a pain!

The 2nd refurb started failing to print photo black when switching back from matte paper. Ran though the diagnostics with Epson & determined they need to send out another replacement (3rd refurb - 4th 3880). I only have 12 days left on the warranty & am considering warranty extension options. It really stews me that I have to wage the bet that the new replacement will also fail but this is what my experience is dictating with the 3880. Apparently no amount of discussions through escalating within Epson customer service will convince them to bend on their policy of only providing a new printer for those that are within a 30 day period from original purchase.

Last edited by Ed K on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by John Guastella on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Unfortunately now awaiting the 4th replacement as the 3rd refurb unit also had a failure. This is really a pain!
I was planning on purchasing the 3880 in the near future, but these types of stories are giving me second thoughts.  It's not just the fact that the original printer failed, but that Epson is replacing them with refurbished units that are either broken out of the box or fail soon after.

John

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
John Guastella wrote: I was planning on purchasing the 3880 in the near future, but these types of stories are giving me second thoughts.  It's not just the fact that the original printer failed, but that Epson is replacing them with refurbished units that are either broken out of the box or fail soon after.

John
This is not at all the norm.  The VAST majority of users have had 3800 and 3880 printers that are completely trouble free for many years!

by Royce Howland on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:07 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
The 3800 / 3880 printer has indeed been a workhorse for most folks. Unfortunately, it does seem that some of them are plagued with problems, and getting into the Epson refurb replacement merry-go-round can be just as big a problem in its own right.

I'm sorry to say that my 3880 purchased new, earlier this year, is now throwing a lot of 150C service errors. It started last week. It's under warranty still, but clearly I'm not eager to get into an endless round of bad refurbs. So I'm still trying to decide what I want to do about it. For now, I'm able to clear the 150C errors after several power cycles, but if it the situation deteriorates that won't be acceptable for long...
Royce Howland

by John Guastella on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:09 am
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
The VAST majority of users have had 3800 and 3880 printers that are completely trouble free for many years!
That's reassuring.  But the fact that Epson is sending out faulty refurbished printers as replacements is inexecusable.  A refurbished product should go through a particularly thorough QC procedure.  It sounds like that is not happening, and the fact that it's not is an example of bad customer service.

John

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
yes that is a problem and calls into question their refurb process or even their understanding of this particular error. I do have a 3800 and it has given me years of trouble free service (knocking on wood).

13 posts |