Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Dan Barthel on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:42 pm
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
Anyone else using this? I'm blown away with the quality on the 3880.
NSN 061
Dan

by Royce Howland on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I'm not using Quad Tone RIP (QTR) directly myself yet, but have had some B&W prints done for me by a very good local boutique printing service. These prints were made on Hahnemuhle Bamboo paper with Jon Cone's K7 carbon monochrome ink set, on converted Epson large format printers. QTR is the only way to print these images with K7 carbon because it requires a set of customized print curves designed by Jon Cone, plus QTR's printing engine to take over control of the printer hardware, and drive the multiple channels of carbon pigment ink. The results are absolutely beyond anything I've seen before in my B&W work... the combination of QTR and the Cone K7 inkset is incredible.

It was so good that I went out and bought a 3880 for myself, with the plan to convert it over to K7 carbon ink. I'll use QTR for my own B&W work for proofing and for final work in smaller sizes. I'll continue to use the local service for large format K7 work...
Royce Howland

by Dan Barthel on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 pm
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
I'm totally impressed using the 3880 inks. Can't even imagine how great QTR would do with Jon Cone's inks. I may follow your advice and pick up a 3800 on eBay. The only thing missing is the smell of stop bath.
NSN 061
Dan

by Royce Howland on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:31 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
For anybody doing B&W work, K7 + QTR has to be seen to be believed, IMO. It's phenomenal... and that's just with what I've been seeing on MATTE papers up to now! K7 on matte looks better than any B&W I've ever printed before on anything.

The latest K7 inkset has been reformulated by Cone to include at least one ink (black) optimized for glossy photo papers, and a special clear gloss enhancer to eliminate gloss differential. For this reason the new inkset is best suited for the 3880, not the 3800, because of the extra cartridge that can be mounted in the 3880 -- normal K7 for matte + new PK for glossy + gloss enhancer = 9 separate channels needed without having to switch carts. I've not seen any K7 glossy prints yet because my local printing service hasn't converted a printer for that system yet, but it's what I'll be doing with my 3880 this month. If it's even half as good as I'm hoping, it should be mind boggling. :)
Royce Howland

4 posts |