Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Bonnie Block on Fri May 24, 2013 11:42 pm
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Not sure that anyone will have an answer—but worth a try!
I have an Epson 7900—probably 3 years old. I print lots with it—no problem for years.
All of a sudden it will not print correctly on the roll paper setting with custom sizing. It prints sheets fine, it prints selected sizes of roll paper fine.
Just not custom sizes. It gives me a garbled print of lines and colors of the image—more like a series of lines.

This just happened out of the blue. My settings are correct. I know how to print with it. The boxes are not greyed out, it seems to happily accept my sizing. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. The printer has had the latest
firmware update. I have also tried printing on another computer and a different program (LR vs. CS6). No difference. I have seen a couple of updates involving Epson Printers on my Mac recently, but they seem not to involve this printer. My hunch is that it is something to do with Mountain Lion, but I am stumped here.

Anyone else have this problem with an Epson large format printer? I can get by using preset sizes in setting, but it is annoying to have lost the capability to exactly control paper size.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 25, 2013 9:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Uh Oh, the first thing that comes to mind is a bad driver but you already ruled that out.  Epson has an excellent technical support line for owners of their high end printers like the 7900.  The number should be in the manual.  I would definitely start there if searching the internet doesn't produce an answer.

by Royce Howland on Sat May 25, 2013 11:26 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
It sounds very much like a driver problem to me. If both of the computers you tried it with are Mac OS, are they both running the same version of Mountain Lion? And are both of them set to auto-update from Apple? I've seen many reports of Apple updates pushing changes down that break Epson printer drivers.

A simple uninstall / reinstall might not be enough to cure the issue but I don't know enough about the internals of Mac OS to provide more specific info. I'd suggest calling the Epson Pro printer technical support... one of the few vendor support options I know of that seems to be able to actually help customers. :)
Royce Howland

by Bonnie Block on Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 am
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ and Royce. I’ll keep working on this. I do have Fusion installed on both computers and can try using the Windows side and see what happens or at worst have a friend with a Windows laptop come over and try it. I am glad to hear that the Epson Pro support is good. I’ll keep on working with it. It is such a bizarre problem!

by Royce Howland on Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
With a Fusion install, printing from the Windows side would be a good test. I'm pretty sure under Fusion, the print will run exclusively through the Windows printer driver and completely by-pass the Mac OS printing layer...
Royce Howland

by Bonnie Block on Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 am
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Thanks, all. Well, I have finally solved this problem. Definitely a driver issue. I completely reset the whole printing system on the Mac for the umpteenth time and finally the driver has installed properly and I can print normally in custom sizes. A bit buggy I would say! Now, I am hoping it stays OK.

by Royce Howland on Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Glad you got it resolved, Bonnie. One thing to double-check is whether you have Mac OS set to auto-apply operating system updates. I always disable such a feature on any OS, but I would especially do so on any Mac. From my reading, the working relationship between Apple, Epson and Adobe products in the photo printing area has proven to be particularly unstable in recent years. Because of this, you may want to be in control of any update procedures so you have a chance to research before-hand, and have a better idea of what kinds of troubleshooting to do afterwards if something breaks.
Royce Howland

by Bonnie Block on Wed May 29, 2013 11:38 am
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Royce Howland wrote:Glad you got it resolved, Bonnie. One thing to double-check is whether you have Mac OS set to auto-apply operating system updates. I always disable such a feature on any OS, but I would especially do so on any Mac. From my reading, the working relationship between Apple, Epson and Adobe products in the photo printing area has proven to be particularly unstable in recent years. Because of this, you may want to be in control of any update procedures so you have a chance to research before-hand, and have a better idea of what kinds of troubleshooting to do afterwards if something breaks.
Thanks, Royce, I will do that. I do think it does have something to do with Mountain Lion as the problem appeared out of the blue and I do believe it was after an update. Thanks again for your help!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
If you haven't already installed these drivers, you might have issues...
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... inLion.jsp

by Bonnie Block on Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:If you haven't already installed these drivers, you might have issues...
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... inLion.jsp
Thank, EJ. Yes, I have those drivers installed.

by DavidLLevy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:13 pm
DavidLLevy
Forum Contributor
I have EXACTLY the same problem today.  Tried everything just like you, and tried to re-install driver, didn't work.  What did you do exactly to re-install your driver??

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
See this entry on the Apple support forums.  Start with photohoward1's post - follow his sequence exactly for a potential solution to this problem.  It fixed the same problem other users were having on that forum.  It seems you need to do more than just reinstalling drivers, you actually need to trash some stuff before installing the drivers to clear this up:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/49 ... 0&tstart=0

Also see R.Soames response on the second page and also Hank G near the bottom of page 2 and iMac Mommy on page 3.

Note there are three pages to that thread.

by Bonnie Block on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 am
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Wow! Amazing! Yes, this is exactly the problem. The image in the Apple support forum post shows what was happening.
I did do all of the things mentioned in the post at one time or another, and must have accidentally stumbled on the fix myself. At this point, I am not sure what I did (in what order) to fix the problem. Trashing the Epson folder and resetting the printer system (many times) seems to have had the biggest effect.
So far, I have been printing for a few days, and at least was able to finish a project I had going.
Great! I can look forward to the problem returning soon.
Thanks, EJ for continuing to research this problem!

13 posts |