« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Professional on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
Hi all,

I would like to get a new calibration tool but don't i don't know if i should go with same brand i have before or go with another brand.

I have Spyder3Studio with includes Spyder3Elite + Sp3Print, they were great on my Mac computers until i upgraded all of them to Mountain Lion, then i don't know why it doesn't work anymore with this OSX version and i need to upgrade, so what do you think, should i go with X-Rite this time or just go with Spyder4 version?

Honestly speaking here, i know most of those calibration color management will do the job just great as it should be, but do you compared different color calibrations side by side to see the difference? I asked this because only with this you may find which one has consistency and better performance and good for different monitors on different systems.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Did you update it ?
http://support.datacolor.com/index.php? ... /87/mac-os

by Professional on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:02 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Andrew_5488 wrote:Did you update it ?
http://support.datacolor.com/index.php? ... /87/mac-os
The update for Spyder3 is up to Snow Leopard version, not for Mountain Lion, i must upgrade Spyder3 to Spyder4, and only it happen by buying Spyder4, so that if i should buy then i asked if i should continue with ColorVision Spyder or go with another manufacturer.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Royce Howland on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
This question comes up a lot and there are many threads discussing calibration options in the forum archives; for example:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 2&t=226693
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 2&t=211844

To summarize, I've not been a fan of the Spyder products in the past and almost always recommend the X-Rite calibration tool, currently the i1 Display Pro. But I've still not tested the Spyder4 yet so can't say whether it's finally an equally decent option. One other option you do have is to keep your Spyder3 hardware device and "cross-grade" your software to something like ColorEyes Display Pro. This would almost certainly produce better results with the same hardware. But it wouldn't address printer profiling if your version 3 SpyderPrint also isn't supported on Mountain Lion.

If you want to keep your printer calibration capability going, the roughly equivalent X-Rite option is the ColorMunki Photo but you'd need to check operating system compatibility on it. Apple and Windows version madness has created some real issues for people trying to keep their accessories going, in recent years.

I just used my ColorMunki last week to create a profile for the new Ilford Galerie Gold Mono Silk paper and as usual it worked like a charm. However the ColorMunki hardware is a spectrophotometer, which makes it not quite as good for calibration the dark shadow tones of a monitor compared to most dedicate monitor calibration devices which are colorimeters.
Royce Howland

by Professional on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:52 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Royce Howland wrote:This question comes up a lot and there are many threads discussing calibration options in the forum archives; for example:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 2&t=226693
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 2&t=211844

To summarize, I've not been a fan of the Spyder products in the past and almost always recommend the X-Rite calibration tool, currently the i1 Display Pro. But I've still not tested the Spyder4 yet so can't say whether it's finally an equally decent option. One other option you do have is to keep your Spyder3 hardware device and "cross-grade" your software to something like ColorEyes Display Pro. This would almost certainly produce better results with the same hardware. But it wouldn't address printer profiling if your version 3 SpyderPrint also isn't supported on Mountain Lion.

If you want to keep your printer calibration capability going, the roughly equivalent X-Rite option is the ColorMunki Photo but you'd need to check operating system compatibility on it. Apple and Windows version madness has created some real issues for people trying to keep their accessories going, in recent years.

I just used my ColorMunki last week to create a profile for the new Ilford Galerie Gold Mono Silk paper and as usual it worked like a charm. However the ColorMunki hardware is a spectrophotometer, which makes it not quite as good for calibration the dark shadow tones of a monitor compared to most dedicate monitor calibration devices which are colorimeters.
I am satisfied with Spyder3Elite, didn't have issues with it, i even didn't test/use Spyder3Print at all not even once, i did print many photos and always getting great results with my Epson printer and even in labs or photo studio shops.

I am just feel surprised and shocked that Spyder3 is stopped to work once you upgrade to Mountain Lion, i tested it on Windows 7 and it is working fine, didn't test it on Windows 8 but i removed Win 8 and returned back to Windows 7, so the only problem is once i upgraded all my Mac computers to mountain Lion now my Spyder3 is no longer is working, i can buy Spyder4 but i was thinking if i better go with another calibration that may work for much longer time, at least ColorVision should give us a support to use Spyder3 on newer version of OSX.
Tareq Alhamrani

5 posts |