Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by batcher on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm
batcher
Forum Contributor
I've read a lot about the benefits of soft proofing and do it at home. I just read a faq from a major? printer that says no need to profile my prints as their Chromira converts the colors. Can someone explain why I wouldn't want to soft proof to the Chromira to dial in things a bit closer? Is there a difference between profiling and soft proofing a print? I profile my monitor and printer, soft proof my images.

Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You do :)

Soft proofing means that you are viewing the print on screen applying the printer profile and a simulation of the paper color. Often things will look a lot flatter than you might want. You have a chance here to make some tweaks to be sure that the printer/paper/ink combo gives you the results you want.

by Royce Howland on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:02 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Yes, there is a difference between profiling and soft-proofing. If you'd care to link to the FAQ from the printing service in question I'd be curious to take a look and see if I can suss out what they mean. Sometimes services give bad advice, and sometimes they're on the right track but use confusing or inaccurate wording to describe what they're trying to say. :)

Naturally their Chromira printer (or more accurate, the RIP that drives it) will convert colors from the image file you send in. This just means they are running a color managed workflow. But the point of soft-proofing is to acknowledge the fact that every different device renders color and contrast in a different way; no two devices exactly match each other. As E.J. says, you soft-proof to simulate how your image may look when rendered through the output process on the service's Chromira printer. If you see differences that are too significant for your liking, you can make some tuned adjustments to your file before you see it out for them to print. This should enable you to get a more satisfying print with fewer (hopefully none) proof prints (a.k.a. hard proofs).
Royce Howland

by batcher on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm
batcher
Forum Contributor
Thanks. That's what I thought.
A link or 2
http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/info/FAQ/faq2.html
and another
http://www.aspencreekphoto.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=44778&Q=
This is what I found confusing.
I understand there will always be some difference between the monitor and the print no matter how well calibrated and profiled..
So, if one was to send the same image to these 2 places, they should be very, very close to matching each other right?
Same paper, same printer.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In theory yes but only if they are using at least similar profiles.

5 posts |