Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by ewpreston on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:28 pm
ewpreston
Forum Contributor
I know a lot has been posted about monitor calibration, but I've spent a lot of time searching and not finding the specifics I'd like.

I have an Xrite I1 display 2 which is no longer supported by xrite and the software for the Mac is flaky at best. They recommend the i1 display pro, but if I'm going to spend $250 on a calibrator maybe I need to look at my other  options.

I have an Apple Cinema Display which is nice, but recently takes a while to "brighten" up. Not sure if the monitor is failing. It's over 3 years old.

I'd like to get a new NEC monitor, but those are expensive.

Any recommendations, including a new monitor?
Eric Preston
ericpreston.com

by HarveyA on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 pm
HarveyA
Forum Contributor
X-Rite has a very nice and reasonable calibrator called ColorMunki. It does a very good job for the monitor, printer and will also do a projector.
Happy Shooting,
Harvey
Night & Day Photos

by ronzie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
To clarify Harvey is talking about the ColorMunki Photo which does printers as well.

Regarding NEC monitors they are nice except the "color critical" Adobe RGB spectrum coverage ones are CCFL backlight which take quite a while to warm up/stabilize. I have the discontinued NEC P221W with Spectraview II which uses an OEM customized version of the I1D2. If you get a later model it can come with a different device but check on that.

I'm on Win XP and have not experienced any software problems.

X-Rite does have an operating system compatibility table for its devices and software at least through Apple 10.6. for Mac users.

As regards equipment suppliers I for displays always check Provantage.com. Sometimes they have prices less than Amazon and other discounters.

Speaking of NEC they have their P241W listed as fully sRGB only with just the monitor but listed as fully (96% Adobe RGB) on the listing with the Spectraview II. Since it is described as "color critical" I suspect the monitor is indeed without the SV2 also Adobe RGB at 96%. This is a CCFL backlight IPS panel.

by Greg Forcey on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:55 pm
Greg Forcey
Lifetime Member
Member #:00926
I had an i1 Display 2 and I replaced it with the colormunki display. So far I've been happy with it and the software works with Mountain Lion on OSX just fine. I bought it from NSN here.

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/x-rit ... splay.html
Greg Forcey

by ewpreston on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm
ewpreston
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. I bought a ColorMunki and it seems to be working well.
Eric Preston
ericpreston.com

5 posts |