Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Wade Thorson on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:07 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
I have a show coming up in Feburary and I'm looking back at what seems to be the favorite print size. It seems that 16x20 is the most popular, but I don't usually shoot in that aspect, so many images have to be cropped, to the detriment of the composition. I prefer 16x24, or 12x18 but most people find them either too big or too small, at least for purchase. What have you found to be the sweet spot?
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
16x24 by far!

by DOglesby on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:27 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
13x19 for me since that's the biggest sheet my Epson R3000 will print at. I would love to have a printer that goes 16x24 but I think my wife would flip. She thinks 13x19 is too big because I print too much!
Cheers,
Doug

by Steve Fines on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:25 am
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
10x20 prints are my best sellers.

I think I'm going to try composing for the 10x30 prints for a while and see how that goes.

by Steven Major on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
I understand the desire to standardize products, but with art, it's not that simple. It depends in the image subject matter and it's composition. Some subjects look better in a smaller, more intimate print size, others that are maybe bolder and more graphic look better larger. Some images of subjects that have large amounts if detail, such as feathers or fur look great large, but if the file is lacking in detail, they look like crap and are better printed smaller. If your making art or love, size is not such a determining factor, if your just trying to make money, good luck.

by Wade Thorson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 am
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the candid and interesting responses. You've given me a lot to think about. Keep 'm coming!

Steve, of course you're right. It's all relative. But, suffering for your art is one thing. Suffering with recompense is a little better.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by Les Voorhis on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:51 pm
Les Voorhis
Forum Contributor
Member #:01066
Size matters...at least what size you sell a print at matters. Actually more specifically, price point matters and then size matters. First off, know your market. Are you selling at a craft fair or a fine art event? The former is likely to have a lower price point necessary than the latter. As artists we want it to be about art to the buying public and that the art should transcend all things monetary. Unfortunately selling art is a business and therefore driven by price point.

Personally I like standard sizes...because my customer does. At least in unframed print options. In framed pieces that they are just going to hang on the wall with no input from them it doesn't matter. So what I do is mat all of my images up to a standard size. 5X7 up to 8x10, 11x16 up to 16x20 and so on. This way I get to shoot in whatever format suits me (or the image) and my customer gets a ready to frame standard size. I have been using this model for nearly 18 years in galleries and shows and it has not let me down yet. Anyway, food for thought. Good luck on your show!

Cheers!
Les Voorhis
Focus West Gallery, Framing and Gifts
http://www.focuswestgallery.com
http://www.outdoorphotoworkshops.com

7 posts |