« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by Royce Howland on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I'm guessing it's a combination of all 3 of the length, width and weight of the leader strip that's needed to trip the media width sensors. Too short, narrow or light of a leader, and one or more sensors don't get triggered. That's probably why BC Lyve itself is "not supported", if its softer structure isn't rigid enough to trip the sensors on its own...
Royce Howland

by irvweiner on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 pm
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
My 3880 and Canvas, Dead or a Lyve!

I have posted this info in a similar form previously. I know it's contained in my response to others on several other sites.

After trying many suggested methods I use this technique.

1: Setup the paper size custom or 'standard'

2: Enter the Platen gap width: wide, wider...

3: Enter the paper thickness: Note each integer reps 1/10 mm or 4 mils, for a 20 mil thk canvas I use 5

4: Cut your canvas to size and place in the 'normal' rear auto slot (wear cotton gloves or use lint free cloth). Definitely brush/wipe your canvas 'clean', loose coating flakes, fibers or particulate matter will leave white 'pinholes' in your print. Many canvas media coming off a roll will exhibit a tendency to curl, especially so at the 4 corners. Flex the corners to be 'flat' preventing printhead 'rubs', mainly at the trailing corners where media is no longer held down by the rollers.

5: Gently press against the canvas, check for proper alignment along the right edge and press the 'preload' or 'eject' button (South pole of 'select' buttons group)

6: When the feed cycle starts push canvas gently downwards, when the rollers grab let go. If the feed is successful the canvas will advance to the preloaded position. If not the roller noise will alert you, lift out the canvas and try again. With experience your success rate will be > 80% for preloading the canvas!
A preloaded canvas will now feed and print properly > 95% OTT! My experience.

7: Before pressing 'Print', recheck your print properties: media size, color/B&W, port or lndscp, etc.

During the print cycle observe the print's alignment progress, definitely for longer prints > 20 in., include additional border space to allow for follow-up trimming.

The rotary cutter, Rotatrim (not inexpensive), is excellent for cutting sheets or slivers of canvas, don't even think of using a guillotine cutter on a finished print--a box cutter with a fresh blade is infinitely better.

8: When your print exits hang it vertically (regardless of size), placing the print on a flat surface creates an instant 'electrostatic' dirt magnet.

Everything I described above was gleaned from the generous members postings on this site and Naturescapes. Ditto for sealing and framing of your new canvas prints-your next set of tasks.

I hope you now feel encouraged to follow thru--B&W on canvas is awesome!!
irv weiner

PS: I have elected to turn off 'Detect paper size'. Despite my high success rate with Lyve and other BC canvas's, a few photogs have contacted me expressing frustration--not being inside their printer I cannot view its actual physical condition: dirty or damaged rollers, improper platen/gap action ...etc. As I said, Lyve is living my 3880, there is post on DPreview where a 3880 user has mounted an additional guide on the left hand side of the media sheet to maintain a straight feed for longer sheets--will re-search.
I hope this info can help irv weiner

by Randy Mehoves on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:10 pm
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
I have been using Lyve canvas since it became available. I use a full length paper leader of 20 lb. paper, I use a strip 1 1/2 inch wide and overlap 1/2 inch leaving a leader of 1 inch. I have had zero problems using this method but I can see where not having your leader going the full width of the paper could result in problems.
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by ebkw on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:28 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Last week I had a problem with 17 x 25 Red River 60 lb. Polar Matt. When I checked I had, somehow, got the Layout box set to a different sized paper than what I was using. That is on the Page Layout part of the Print Settings box.

I have only had one side not print properly using a paper strip once. It turned out that there was ink on the back of the strip. The printer must be able to detect its own ink.

After many problems with my 3880 not centering the print I added an extra inch to the size of the paper and haven't had that problem since the. I use Lyve canvas cut to required size.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by dbolt on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:22 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I am convinced the problem I was having was due to using too narrow paper leader. Once I switched to a leader consisting of 2.5x17" heavy photo paper taped so 1/2" protrudes past the edge of the canvas, 3 of 3 attempts have printed normally. Several folks here indicate they use more than 1/2" on the leading edge.

Thanks all for your help. Once again, forum answers work better than commercial tech support.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

25 posts |