Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Josh Gahagan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:06 am
Josh Gahagan
Forum Contributor
This topic has probably been covered here before, so I apologize if it has.......One of my coworkers wants one of my landscape photos to be printing as an 11x14. It was shot with a 40D which is 10 MP, and I'm not sure if the quality would be reasonable at that size. I also now shoot with a 1D3 which has the same resolution. Would the quality still be acceptable if I have to make the original file slightly larger to fit the desired print size?

by Larsen on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
If you did a good job taking the photo, it should be fine. Duplicate the image, crop out the 11x14 at whatever dpi you want, sharpen it, then look at the resulting image. Zoom a bit so you simulate looking at a 11x14 using whatever size monitor you have.
_

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have printed 13x19 prints from 9 MP camera files and find them perfectly acceptable. This is without PS! As photographers, we are far more critical than the average photo buyer. The collectors market is a different story, but paper and ink are cheap and simply printing your photo will show you the potential of your image. Even many consumer grade printers will print really well for most buyers. I use HP's and Epsons with archival inks and papers and the cost per print is negligible. When I used to print from transparencies, the cost per print from a shop was extreme and the prints seldom compared to the original. Now, printers produce far better images and with Photoshop or other programs the print quality is far better.

SFJ
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Randy Mehoves on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 pm
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
As mentioned above, if you had a good file to begin with i.e. good exposure, no blurring and you haven't cropped severely you can EASILY print a 11x14 from a 10MP file!
Heck I've printed good 12x18's from the Canon 10D which was 6MP! I print 12x18's all the time from the 1D2N 8MP body, I've even printed 16x24's from both the 40D and the 1D2N.

Those files were interpolated to 300 dpi at the output size.
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by Bob Boner on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 pm
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I have gotten very good results printing 15 x 22.5 images from the 4 mp Canon 1D, so an 11 x 14 from your 40D should be fine.
Bob Boner

5 posts |