Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Charlie Woodrich on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
I normally physically sign my prints, but in this situation the print will be produced in California. I live in VA and I don't want it sent to me because the recipient is also in California, so drop ship is the answer. I want to insert a signature in Photoshop on an image. I have an older Wacom Tablet (Int 3.) and I've played around with trying this, but I'm not getting there. I'm assuming you create a new layer and fill it with the color you want the signature to be; select a brush size and use the tablet for the signature. If some one would just explain the basic steps it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Charlie

by Royce Howland on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:14 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
It's a bit simpler than that, even. As the top-most layer, create a new empty layer filled with nothing -- pure alpha. Then select the brush or pencil tool, set the tool size & hardness, pick a color, and sign your signature on the empty layer using the tablet & pen. The chosen Photoshop tool will stroke your signature in the selected color, while the rest of the layer remains empty, thus overlaying just your signature onto the image.

Save this version of the image as a TIFF or PSD, unflattened, with the signature layer in it. Then flatten the image and save another copy under a different file name; this is the one to send out to the printing service as a JPEG, TIFF or whatever they've requested.

You could also just use the tablet to sign right onto the base image layer (assuming your file is completely flattened, no other layers). But then if you want to get rid of the signature you can't easily do so. So personally I'd prefer the layer approach.
Royce Howland

by Charlie Woodrich on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:55 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Thanks Royce!

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You could also turn your signature into a stamp so you could apply it with the stamp tool every time you need it.

by Royce Howland on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:25 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
A lot of people do that. But for me part of the purpose of signing is to personalize a print. My volume is manageable so I prefer to sign in realtime every time, so no two signatures are exactly the same. Stamping is good for efficiency & identification but doesn't have that little extra personal touch...
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Good point!!! :)

6 posts |