Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by ebkw on Sat May 12, 2012 10:05 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Now I've done it! As discussed several times I am adding a 1" strip of paper added to the edge of a cut sheet of canvas and attaching it using ATG tape across the whole width of the strip.

It came unstuck and in now attached to the inside of the printer.

Is there a way to get the back off to get at the paper? I can't see it but know it has to be in there someplace.

Help!!!
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by pleverington on Mon May 14, 2012 6:52 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Well if you endeavor to open your printer up you may want to download and read this first Eleanor--

http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=1361

I have no printer of the type so have no firsthand knowledge otherwise that could help you, but I have learned to do all my own servicing on my 44 inch printers with a good manual in hand.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I'm afraid, unless you are very good at opening and servicing complex mechanical and electronic equipment, taking it to a printer repair place would be the safest solution.

by ebkw on Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
UPDATE:

As Epson Canada no longer does their own servicing I was given 5 choices of service centres in the Greater Toronto Area which are all at least a 2 hour drive from home. I picked the one who was the most helpful on the phone, Access computer on Tycos Dr. in Toronto. Eddie was very helpful and accommodating.

I drove down, they carried the printer in. Looked in and in their light I could actually see the paper strip. Pulled it out piece by piece and then Eddie moved the printhead to get the last bit out.

Carried it back out to my car - NO CHARGE!!!

I'd use them again but hope no more problems!

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Glad you got it resolved!

by irvweiner on Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 pm
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
Eleanor, i believe I discussed this 'canvas' feeding problem earlier. I am also printing on canvas with the 3880 and ran into the canvas feed problem, I don't use front feed since i want to maintain the 17' width. I chose the normal rear feed, 1 sheet at a time, media thickness (for my Breathing Color) varied from 19 to 25 mils. I set the platen to wide and the media thkness to 5-7.

I do not tape on any leader guides--I place the media in the normal rear feed supported by the fold-out extension. Next, I press the media feed button, the 'southern' button on the compass 'wheel'. Holding onto the top of the media sheet, I help guide it into the take up rolls, now the media is in position to be advanced and printed upon when I execute the print command. At this stage my printing is successful >95% of the time. If the media does not 'take' into the feed rolls properly, you will get an error message. Press the 'south' button once and the sheet is cleanly ejected, Repeat until the media is properly accepted and you are good to go, if necessary re-adjust the platen and/or thkness.
Infrequently, with the media in position the print command results in the rollers turning but no forward feed, just lift the sheet out and try again. In these incidents the media is not damaged or stained and you have the opportunity to retry, as I stated earlier once the media feed is properly accepted the print will be good!

irv weiner

PS Have you explored any of the 3rd party reliable refillable systems such as Jon Cone (and his family of specialized inks?)

by ebkw on Sat May 26, 2012 8:15 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Hi Irv, I tried your method and it worked the first time but never again! Why!!!

I haven't tried any other inks and don't think I want to experiment as I seem to have enough problems already! Are you using another system? This might be good for a new topic!

by irvweiner on Sun May 27, 2012 1:05 am
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
Just double check--I'm using the normal rear feed, the auto feed slot where we place sheets of letter size paper for printing memo's & letters not the hand fed single sheet photo paper feed. Patience and practice will be rewarding.

My reliable 3rd party refillable is set is performing very well, at club competitions I have been asked "Who did your prints". Never heard that before!
Check out Jon Cone's new ink-sets--pigment and dye for the 3880--very intriguing.

good luck irv weiner

8 posts |