« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by J Ippolito on Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 pm
J Ippolito
Forum Contributor
I picked up a trial roll of Breathing Color Crystalline gloss canvas. I must say the results are quite impressive in detail, color, dmax, and a beautiful finish right out of the printer-Epson 3880 in my case.
Prints just pop on this stuff, and it doesn't need to be varnished, although you can overspray with Timeless for added protection. Without varnish, they claim permanence tests out to 55 years, and 75 years if you overspray with Timeless.
Rolling varnish is not recommended on this product. They have a satin version I will be eager to try when it is available.
John Ippolito
[b]Alaska Wilderness Images[/b]
www.alaskawildernessimages.com

by Randy Mehoves on Sat May 05, 2012 4:18 pm
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
John, nice review. I use Moab Desert Varnish to spray my canvas, I use it mainly to keep the canvas from getting scuffed during the framing process and possibly from the customer afterwards. How is the Crystalline as far as scuff resistant?
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by J Ippolito on Sat May 05, 2012 6:03 pm
J Ippolito
Forum Contributor
Thanks Randy, I've had a test print that I bounced around alot over the last week, set things on top of, and generally mishandled just to get a feel for how resistant it is to scuffs and scrapes. So far, so good, it still looks pristine.
John Ippolito
[b]Alaska Wilderness Images[/b]
www.alaskawildernessimages.com

by DanielPDunn on Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 pm
DanielPDunn
Forum Contributor
John,
a couple things. You're printing on an Epson 3880 with roll paper, is that correct? Did you make something yourself to hold and feed the roll? And are you printing color prints on that paper? Where did you purchase from? I just ordered that Epson printer, and the Breathing Color paper comes highly recommended from a number of sources, so as I begin this process of learning about printing, I'm especially anxious for high quality recommendations, but also to simply try good papers myself, to gain experience.
Thanks!

by DanielPDunn on Fri May 11, 2012 7:23 pm
DanielPDunn
Forum Contributor
whoops, I said paper a couple times, it's canvas, I realize that now

5 posts |