Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Timothy Brooks on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 pm
Timothy Brooks
NANPA Scholar
Hey guys! Someone recently asked to buy a print of the photo below. The photo was taken with one of my older cameras with a lower resolution (3590 x 2393 pixels). They asked for the print to measure 33" x 22", and I was wondering if this would be doable with the size of my photo. It would run at 108 ppi. The photo does not have a lot of detail so I could try upscaling it, however I have never done this for a print before and I don't know if using Image Size in photoshop is the best way.
Let me know what you think! Thanks!!
Timothy Brooks
www.TimothyBrooks.com
www.Facebook.com/TimothyBrooksPhotography

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
An 8.5 megapixel image at 33x22 is pushing it but not out of the realm of possibilities. the Bicubic Smoother uprezing algorithm in Photoshop is the one to use for that. Scale it up to 33x22 at 300ppi or 360ppi depending on the printer, Do a round of output sharpening - I prefer Photokit Sharpener for something like this and print it. The typical viewing distance for a 33x22 print is fairly far away so if the original was tack sharp, it ought to look pretty nice on a wall but some skill in sharpening and printing ss necessary to get the most out of this.

by James McIntyre on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:39 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068
As E.J. says, you should be able to upres your file quite successfully with Adobe's Bicubic Smoother algorithm. This does not apply any sharpening, in contrast to the Bicubic Sharper algorithm used for down-resing.

I would suggest upresing to only 180 ppi (as recommended by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe) and then sharpen with USM, PHOTOKIT or NIK SHARPENER PRO 3.0. The lower res will fabricate fewer new pixels and also result in a much smaller final print file size. This should produce an excellent print of your fine picture, quite satisfactory for viewing at about 50 inches.

If you wish, you can compare the results for various resolutions by enlarging a small section of your picture to say 8x10 and then viewing these proofs at about 50".

by Timothy Brooks on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:59 pm
Timothy Brooks
NANPA Scholar
Thanks for the advice!! I sadly only have access to photoshop for sharpening. Would unsharp mask be best to use? And do you have any idea what radius would be good for this size of a print? Thanks again!
Timothy Brooks
www.TimothyBrooks.com
www.Facebook.com/TimothyBrooksPhotography

by James McIntyre on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:34 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068
There are a zillion online tutorials on Photoshop sharpening that you can find with a Google search.

Here's a good one by well-known author Deke McClelland:
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/pho ... lland.html

Smart sharpening in Luminosity blend mode should work well with your landscape picture.

by ChrisRoss on Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I'd suggest following the steps in this link:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... PS-uI1GwRA

author is Jeff Schewe, outlines how to do sharpening in PS effectively the same the photokit sharpener.

I'd suggest goind to the Raw file again or equally the tif or equivalent if it has not been resampled or sharpened , doing the edge sharpening routine, resample it to the dimensions required then use a combo of the hipass at about 2 pixels and then USM. I would select the sky then invert that selection to use as a mask for both the HiPass and the USM. so you apply no sharpening to the sky.

Adjust the USM so it is just starting to look oversharpened when viewed at 50%, as a start maybe try setting at 1 pixel radius and adjusting amount.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Taylor Reed on Sat May 05, 2012 3:33 pm
Taylor Reed
Forum Contributor
I've had excellent results upsizing using Bicubic Smoother then running Nik Sharpener. I think the quality you will get from that file will be satisfactory for the vast majority of people.
Landscape photographer based in Southern Illinois.
[url]http://www.ShawneeExplorer.com[/url]

by Ed Cordes on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Good advice given above. My only input is to ask if that is a flying bird in the distance or a dust speck above the fence post 2nd from right? If dust I would make it disappear.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

8 posts |