All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by jim daniel on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 am
jim daniel
Forum Contributor
Hello,
I'm being asked by a client to point them to a source for printing one of my D3 Tiff images onto a wall in a visitor's center. They plan to cover one whole wall with the image and then build a landscape in front of the wall to make it all come together and look like the visitor is at the edge of a rice field filled with waterfowl.
DUH......I don't have a clue as to where to point them. The wall is approximately 8' high and 15' long.
If anyone can suggest sources for this task, the client and I will greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Jim

by CNCiccone on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:17 pm
CNCiccone
Forum Contributor
Hi Jim,

Search for "large format digital graphic" print shops in your area. Most printers that fall into this category can print on adhesive vinyl (usually with a laminate) and tile and panel it as needed for installation. They'll probably need an installer for it as well, but the print shop might be able to handle that as well.
For instance, locally (Boston) I've worked for two different large format digital print shops that print on 3M IJ180-C vinyl combined with a 8620 Lustre Laminate. (There are other manufactures, but I think this stuff works the best, and most installers that I work with like it because of a "comply" feature that makes it much easier to install)

by CNCiccone on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 pm
CNCiccone
Forum Contributor
OOPS - forgot to sign my response!

Cheers,
Christopher in Boston, MA

by scubastu on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Jim

I recently did a 4' x 20' mural for a client. However, they opted to creat 8 29"x 48" panel printed on Bay Photo's Metal Prints then these were mounted an inch and a half apart to simulate windows. But before they opted for that, on of the options was getting a sign shop that had a BIG latex printer to print the image on several sheets and it was applied like wallpaper. I would look at outfits that supply billboards etc for this.

However, 1 D3 image might not have enough resolution especially if the viewer is fairly close to the print. My mural was 24 images from the 5dmk2 stitched together. Your nose could be touching the print and still not see any pixelation.

S.
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by jim daniel on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm
jim daniel
Forum Contributor
Hey,
I appreciate the suggestions. I'm looking into them. Thanks for responding.
Jim

5 posts |