Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by robertr on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 am
robertr
Forum Contributor
In an effort to get more accurate prints I have invested in upgrading my spare room for use as a mini-studio. I have an NEC PA241 monitor with their newest colormeter, Solux 4700K track lights and am still using Windows XP. The problem is when checking ambient light as per NEC recommendations, I cannot get to ~5000k at the monitor unless the track lights are pointed directly at it. And then of course the light levels are way to high (over 120 lux). When I get the light levels correct, the color temp is only at 3600k.What am I missing?

by J. DeYoung on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 am
J. DeYoung
Forum Contributor
What color are your walls?

by robertr on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm
robertr
Forum Contributor
The walls are sort of an ugly mid green. I rent the house so I don't really want to paint,unless it may be necessary.

by J. DeYoung on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 pm
J. DeYoung
Forum Contributor
That may be most of the problem. All you are getting is indirect light that has been reflected off the walls. This will affect the color of the light. If you think it messes up your color perception, painting may be your only solution.
Before painting, I would check to see if you are getting what you expect from your prints, if so, you may find painting isn't even necessary.

by robertr on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:09 am
robertr
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your help!

by Royce Howland on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I would tend to agree. If the color temperature shifts a fair amount when the Solux lights are dimmed, it's because another light source of a different color cast becomes more dominant. If reflected light is the main other source then paint color (or other wall cover) in the room is the main culprit.

Personally I don't think I'd want to work in a green room. :-) The monitor is one thing, but at least it emits its own light that will be calibrated. If you make prints, watch more carefully because prints can only reflect the ambient light. A green cast would probably affect how you view your prints. I've shown this effect in a print workshop and people can be surprised how much impact ambient light conditions can have on impressions of print color & contrast.
Royce Howland

by Steve Cirone on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:54 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
I prefer complete darkness in our computer office. That is easy to do. No paint. Tinfoil over the windows, lights off, shut the door.

My spouse objected to the tinfoil on aesthetic grounds, so I went with opaque verticals.

I got a great office chair at a place called ARC that doesn't kill my back after hours.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by ChrisRoss on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
One problem with complete darkness is you will tend to make your images a bit darker. Calibration assumes a certain level of ambient light. I get 5000K at the monitor with a daylight balance compact fluro in a diffusion fitting (rice paper sphere) in the middle of the room walls are a very pale green . If you don't want to paint you could try hanging a couple blank canvases or similar on the wall and aiming your track lights at them.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

8 posts |