Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by gsploki on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am
gsploki
Forum Contributor
I am going to do some prints on canvas and have both printers. The 4000 has matt black in it. How much of a difference is there in the final print in terms of color depth, saturation, etc when printing on canvas between the 2 printers. I have always used one of the photo papers that did not require matt black. This is new territory for me. I use Imageprints rip so profiles are not a problem.
Frank Brabec

Last edited by gsploki on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Royce Howland on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Frank, there may not be a lot of difference between them, depending on what canvas you use in each printer. I don't have much experience with canvas but recently have been helping a friend get his HP Z3100 dialed in. One roll stock we evaluated was the bog standard HP-branded matte canvas material, and I was pleasantly surprised by its performance with MK ink on the big Z.

But for questions like this, my advice is license yourself a copy of Gamutvision (if you run a Windows machine or Windows VM on Mac OS) and use it to directly evaluate the profiles for one or more possible canvas stocks on both printers, using the variations of black ink. This would be an excellent way to do some initial analysis on color gamut, black density, etc. and set up some targeted test prints. Considering the amount you've already got invested in your printing system plus what you're about to embark upon with canvas work, the small cost of Gamutvision plus some time learning to use it will be a useful thing to help make sure you're getting the most out of the new media.
Royce Howland

by gsploki on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:09 pm
gsploki
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the info. I now have Gamutvision installed. Now to learn how to use it!!! :(
Frank Brabec

by Royce Howland on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
It's on my list of articles to write in my copious free time... :-)
Royce Howland

4 posts |