Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by ebkw on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I have done many canvas prints with this printer but every once in awhile I forget where I need the extra inch of paper size.

I am printing on Breathing Color Lyve, 17" canvas, on the 3880.
I add a 1 1/2 inch strip of paper to the leading edge of the canvas(the 17" edge) using a 1/2 inch overlap.
I have added 1 inch to the length(in PS) of the paper for the normal border.
A 12 x 18 print, plus 2 inches all around for gallery wrap (16 x 22), landscape, is going through the printer left margin first.
The "User Defined" paper size has to be 24 x 17 inches.
That should mean that the print is starting 1/2" in on the canvas. Am I right?

Even though I check Centre Image sometimes I end up with some of the border being printed on the paper strip and 1 1/2 inches of blank canvas on the trailing edge.

What am I doing wrong?
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Randy Mehoves on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 am
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
Eleanor,
What is the total length of your cut canvas (plus 1 inch paper)? What I do is take my overall total length and make that the paper size in user defined. If your canvas is 24" long and the paper is 1 inch make your length 25 inches, you must add 1 inch to the margin at the top. Do not check center image. If your canvas is 24 inches long subtract the print size from that, divide by 2. Take that measurement and add the 1 inch (paper strip) to that. That will be the margin you need to enter for the top (I always rotate my horizontal images 90 degrees CCW before printing to make it portrait) The side margin will just be the result of the print size subtracted from the canvas width (17 inches) divided by 2.
In order to use the user defined size of 17x24 your canvas would have to be 23 inches long (plus the 1 inch size of your paper leader)

I hope I understood your question correctly.

EDIT TO CORRECT!
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

Last edited by Randy Mehoves on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ebkw on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:30 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I have been making the canvas the length of the image then adding 1" on the leading edge. I know that is how you explained it in a thread ages ago. I think I am adding 1 inch to the front edge of the file. Then I am making the paper size 1 inch larger than that. Is that right?

by Randy Mehoves on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:47 pm
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
Eleanor I edited the above to correct.
Yes, in your page set-up for paper size your total must be the canvas plus the inch paper strip. If you check the center image box it will divide for the paper strip also and move it closer to it. Just move your print away from the paper using the margin box.
Randy Mehoves

by ebkw on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
OK, I see what you're talking about. I have only ever used the Centred checked and didn't know the image could be moved with in the bounding box! Once again, most appreciated!

Thanks,
Eleanor

by Randy Mehoves on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:55 pm
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
Alternatively you could check centered and then uncheck and add 1/2 inch to the leading edge margin (top) as long as you always use that 1 inch strip of paper.
Randy Mehoves

by irvweiner on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 pm
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
A suggestion: When printing on Canvas (BC Lyve or others), after I set the platen & media thickness and insert the Canvas into the auto (normal) rear feeder and check for 'straightness' I press the paper feed button on the printer's front panel. This is the 'South' button--within a few secs the 3880 will pull the sheet into print position. If the sheet is properly accepted and aligned I will then press 'Print' and produce a well framed print. Be certain that your media is accurately 'right-angle' cut on the bottom and right-hand side to ensure uniform borders without drift. If your print is long, 24-37 in., allow for a wider side border permitting post trimming. If your print's longest side is <17, try printing in 'horizontal' mode to minimize side drift feed.

I note that the pre-feed works fine >75%, I will re-insert until it feeds properly--the main advantage of this technique versus the standard 'pray & see' mode is that I will immediately know if I have good feed. And can immediately remove the large sheet without any frantic, frenzied maneuvers. Once the pre-feed is successful I rarely have a misfeed.

Do research and read up about slippage when printing longer canvas prints, the printed length can be altered.
I forget to state that I am not using any paper/fiber strips for a leading entry edge.

irv weiner

by ebkw on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I tried, tried and tried again to get the canvas to feed without a strip attached! Make that at least 20 tries. Doesn't work for me!

by Randy Mehoves on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 am
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
The 3800 and 3880 weren't made to feed canvas and I found the only way was to "cheat" and use the paper leader strip method. Works like a charm and after that they print beautifully.
I have also found that the printer is real accurate as to misaligned feeds and will not feed when off by very little.
Randy Mehoves

by irvweiner on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 am
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
Eleanor, I noted that no mention of the platen gap or media thickness was mentioned in the above postings including mine. Big mistake on my part. I print on Lyve and several other BC canvas's, Lyve is 20 mils or 0.5mm. Another media, 800MT is 24 mil or 0.6mm. When printing on these thicker materials, in Paper Configuration I set the paper thickness to 5 or 6 (0.5 or 0.6 mm) and the Platen Gap to wide or wider (typically wide). Now I insert my media and press the feed button (the southern arrow) as described previously. This is the procedure that has been most successful for me, if the media 'catches' I get my print. Cant believe I overlooked this critical step, this why you had such difficulty. For longer print lengths we have another 'gotcha' to watch for: slippage of the media when it is fed thru, this will/can result in a slightly shorter print length and allowance may be needed. Check this out in the various posting for more info.

I hope this update eases your canvas 'difficulties'.

good luck irv weiner

by ebkw on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Irv. I do have my platen gap set for wider when using the Lyve canvas. I'll try it again. I think the test print showed that I needed to set it at 4. Maybe I should try that larger. Won't hurt to try!

by irvweiner on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
Eleanor, in addition I often support the sheet gently on the left side to keep it against the important right hand guide and give a light push when being fed into the rollers.

irv

12 posts |