Bosque Scape

Posted by Juli Wilcox on Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 

Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, Socorro, NM, USA 2/2003

Since most of my time is spent with birds, mammals and insects, I have to tell you it is with great trepidation that I even post in this gallery, but here goes. :P If you were shooting this scene, what would you do to make it better? In your own mind, you would be telling yourself, "OK, I want to get this, this and this so I do this, this, and this." I told myself I wanted the clouds, the patterns on the low mountains, the texture, some diagonal lines and of course, THE COLOR. I think it's always hard to avoid cutting the image in half with the strongest line. Tried to focus about a third of the way in to get the maximum sharpness and I thought I was stopping down but my exif info says only f5.6. Digital, 28-135 @ 80, 1/1000 sec at f5.6, -1/3 exposure comp., ISO 200. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I have never seen colors like this anywhere except in the southwest. It's not hard to see why people return again and again.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

Posted by:
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010

by thapamd on Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:23 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
First of all, this is a nice shot, Julie. What I might have done is walk a little closer (if it was possible) to avoid the slightly distracting foreground bushes. Then I may have done a bracketed exposure shot on a tripod and combined the images to get some more shadow detail out of the portions of the distant mountains. I may also have used a wider angle lens then the 28-105, especially if your body has a crop factor. And, as you mentioned, I would have used a smaller aperature and focused at the hyperfocal distance (using a chart, rather than just estimating with the 1/3 rule). I would have used the lowest ISO possible (or is 200 the lowest on your camera?).
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

by Kelly on Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:23 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Juli, The warm colors of the foreground really complement the cooler background and sky colors well, and the textures and patterns are really nice. The shrubs in the foreground seem to clutter the scene a bit. I think it might be a bit stronger if you were standing on the opposite bank of the first bit of water, and shooting low to capture as much as possible of the next larger pond and maybe some reflections too. It might help to crop a bit off the bottom to the bank or road, and then clone out the few branches remaining of the shrubs.
Kelly O'Neill

by Campbell on Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:30 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Juli,
I think this is excellent. I cant wait to see it in person out there.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by Lillian Roberts on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:43 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
This brings back such nice memories...

But aside from that, I agree with the first two posts. Probably it would look better photographed from the opposite side of the near pond, perhaps even with the road included as a diagonal. In general, with landscapes the FG is so important it's worth the effort to eliminate anything there that won't help the image.

Lillian

by Cindy Marple on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:49 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I actually like the lines of the ponds in the angle you've chosen. Try a panoramic crop just below the pond, eliminating the foreground scrub and see what you think of that. To me it keeps those lines and the other elements you've wanted to include.
I enjoyed doing landscape at Bosque almost as much as the birds!
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Greg Downing on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:52 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Heck, I like it as is!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Anders on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:32 pm
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
Juli,

This is very beautiful! And thought people went to Bosque for the birds...

I think the suggestions above all are good. Can't decide which I prefer, but definitely nice as is too.

Anders

by Dan Baumbach on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:54 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
The colors are great. You can't beat them. The horizon looks a little tilted to the right so first I would straighten it out.

I don't know what you were seeing so what I'm saying may not make any sense if I were there. The best part of this photo is the top 2/3. That's where the best color and mountains are. The bottom third is just kind of brown.

If I were there I'd look for a foreground with those lovely orange reds that you have on the opposite shore to complement the mountains. Maybe it would be enough to move to the other side of the water.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Juli, this is a good record shot of what the landscape at Bosque looks like and it brings back many memories. Photographically, there is no clear focal point for the landscape nor is the light dramatic to make it the focal point. By cropping the image just below the water, the image becomes so much stronger as the foreground no longer distracts and that allows the clouds to take on a much more prominent role.

by Rich S on Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:44 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
I both like it as it stands and concur with many of the suggestions, especially Dan's and E.J.'s. While the typical mantra is to "get low," with this one, assuming some constraints on the ability to crop the foreground, I would be tempted to bring a step ladder and try to get higher here! A higher angle would put more emphasis on the contrast between the browns in the near foreground and the mountains in the back. (And yes, I have received some very strange looks when I've pulled a stepladder out of the back of my truck and climbed to the top to take a photo! :) )

Rich

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:08 am
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Juli, first off i like it as is. So many images of birds from this place its nice to see what the landscape itself looks like. Thanks for posting it. With that said, Its probably just me being a tree guy myself :wink: but the tree to the left with the nicely lit brown grasses i noticed right away. I might of tried to zoom in a bit on that at a slightly lower angle if possible, for the fg as to have the tree against the mountain in the bg. Like i said, probably just me and not exactly what you were originally asking either :D

robert...........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by stevebein on Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:24 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Julie,
As a panoramic photographer, I would cropping just at the water edge so the road at the top of the pond comes out of the lower left corner and leads into the photo and giving the image a panoramic ratio. I think that would make the composition stronger. The sky is wonderful and Bosque rarely disappoints , if ever. SOme day I hope to return, but this year, Ithink we are opting for the tropics and a week of diving along with some island photos.
Regards,
sTeve
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Ted Simonett on Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:15 pm
Ted Simonett
Forum Contributor
Hi Juli

The clouds, the mountains and the reeds that start about a third of the way up on the left of frame are the main points of interest, for me at least.

I don't believe the foreground as shot here serves this image very well.

This is said with the greatest of respect, because, I've always appreciated your eye - and your processing skills.
Ted

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:41 pm
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
I agree very much with E.J.'s crop suggestion and I think that it is an excellent example of what a difference in impact cropping can make.
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by Juli Wilcox on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:18 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Ask and ye shall receive! 8) I am so impressed by the variety of critiques. Thanks to each of you for your frank opinion and very helpful suggestions. Those are very much appreciated!
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by thapamd on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:25 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
Juli Wilcox wrote:Ask and ye shall receive! 8) I am so impressed by the variety of critiques. Thanks to each of you for your frank opinion and very helpful suggestions. Those are very much appreciated!
I think I speak for all when I say that it was our extreme pleasure...heck, who doesn't like to tell someone what to do! :lol:
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

by Ken Cravillion on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:37 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
The light is nice and the clouds are doing you a favor. I would crop to just below the water.
Ken Cravillion

18 posts |