Near Sable Falls

Posted by Bob Wright on Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 

EOS 10D, 70-200 f/2.8 IS @ 70mm, 1/8, f/22, ISO 100

I had great plans for Sable Falls, The family wanted to play on the nearby beach which would give me plenty of time to work on the falls. Plans never quite work out the way you want them to.

When we arrived at the falls there were about 20 people playing in them, so we went down steam a little and I took this image while I waited for the people to clear out. As we waited more kept arriving, so we went down to the beach and I figured I'd let the kids play while I waited for the evening light. About 30 minutes into the play time, my youngest daughter(4yr) let out a scream. She had a small leech attached to one of her toes....

Needless to say, that ended our trip and as we walked by the falls there were still people playing in them. So I never did get a shot of the actual falls this year.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Wright
[b]NSN 065[/b]
[url=http://www.bobwrightphotography.com][i]Bob Wright Photography[/i][/url]

Posted by:
Bob Wright
Lifetime Member
Member #:00065

by Dan Baumbach on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:51 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
I like this. I like the flow of the rocks and the water rolling over them. The only nit I have is the bright green area at the top right. Cropping it our ruins the composition but if you just burn it in it will make this really nice.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by ggivensjr on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:38 pm
ggivensjr
Forum Contributor
I agree the over exposed greenery in the top right could go but, I see nothing wrong with cropping about 1/2" from the top.

Thanks,
GGJr

by Lillian Roberts on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:31 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
I agree, a small crop would eliminate the bright area, which is distracting. FWIW, I think moving water with mixed lighting is very difficult to get pleasing images of, and you did an excellent job in a challenging situation.

Sorry about the interruption to your fun. Bet it'll be funny in a few days. Or years... ;)

Lillian

by thapamd on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:47 am
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
Nice flow shot, Bob. Except for the slightly blown highlights, this is a wonderful image.
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

by Anders on Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:33 pm
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
I agree with the crop suggestion. Am also struggling a bit to find a main focus of interest. Hope your daughter didn't get too scared...

Anders

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is very nice and I love the smoothness of the image but the upper right keeps it from being all that it can be. A slight crop would take care of that and propel this to the next level.

7 posts |