Ecuador volcanos

Posted by Rich S on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
While I do a lot of flying, I virtually never take a photo from a plane - bad windows, too distant objects, difficulty composing, etc. However, on my third trip out of Quito in 10 days, I got lucky with one a great window and composition that I knew was coming. I tried to get the shutter speed as high as possible to minimize movement due to vibration.

The further volcano is Cotopaxi which, I believe, is the point further from the center of the Earth. (Since the Earth bulges at the equator, it's actually higher than Mt. Everest.) In the foreground is Antisana, I believe. Looking up at mountains when you're flying at 20,000 feet is not particularly reassuring! (Now if I could just get a flight at about 7 am or 6 pm. ;) )

1Ds, 100-400 at 200, 1/1600 at f8.0 Adjusted cyan and blue channels down and cropped some uninteresting sky at the top.

Rich

Posted by:
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019

by Dan Baumbach on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:20 am
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
Good capture from a plane. I think that a little more cropping from the top with improve this.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In addition to what Dan said, it is relatively easy to make pictures taken from a plane not have that "shot through airplane glass" look by using levels and curves and adding a warming filter after the fact. Here is what I am referring to - hope you don't mind the repost :)

by Campbell on Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:21 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Fantastic! Excellent picture.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by AndrewC on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:32 pm
AndrewC
Forum Contributor
Actually Chimborazo is the furthest place from the centre of the earth for exactly the reasons you stated. Cotopaxi has the dubious distinction of being the highest active volcano and also being not quite 20,000'. When I was on top of it a few years ago I did contemplate building a very large pile of snow and jumping up and down to try and break 20k but at those altitudes I didn't have the energy and besides it was rumbling and I didn't want to wake the devil :( I think the foreground peak is Antisana but I was on the other side so don't recognise the shape. The middle peaks are, ummm, forgotten but quite nice to camp under as you trek from Antisana to Cotopaxi.

by Svein-Frode on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:34 pm
Svein-Frode
Lifetime Member
Member #:00152
Great image! Agree with Dan and EJ on the improvements. The composition is superb! Another reminder of always bringing the camera with you!
Svein-Frode

by Steve Mekata on Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:28 pm
Steve Mekata
Forum Contributor
The mods EJ made transform an already nice image into something even more impressive, and I agree with your crop.

I'd also consider burning in (out) the cloud in the lower right corner.

by Rich S on Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:10 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
E.J., thanks tremendously for the repost - really makes it much stronger. And the crop and burning ideas also are right on the money. Thanks.

And AASC, I think you're correct; Chimborazo is the highest point rather than Cotopaxi. (But them I'm still trying to keep Cotopaxi straight from Cotachi!)

Rich

by Danny Burk on Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:20 pm
Danny Burk
Forum Contributor
Very nice...I like the subject and comp, and E.J.'s tweak really brings it to life :)
Danny Burk
http://www.dannyburk.com
Fine print and imaging sales, drum scanning service, field and Photoshop technique workshops

by Dan Baumbach on Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:08 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
E.J. really did a great job on this. His adjustment really sings.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by Kerry on Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:09 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Very nice. The repost takes it to the next level.

--Kerry

by thapamd on Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:11 am
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
Nice one, Rich! I do like what E.J. has done with it too...seems to "pop" a bit more. Great view!
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

12 posts |