Near Bond Falls, Fall 2003 IV

Posted by Ken Cravillion on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
I like the light on the trees. The water isn't burned out on the tranny.

Here is the FIRST ONE. Here is the SECOND ONE. Here is the THIRD ONE

Number four of five...
Ken Cravillion

Posted by:
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072

by Cindy Marple on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:30 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I like this even better than the similar #2, because there is a bit of detail in the tree trunks. I like the light on the trees too. Beautiful image.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Anders on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:52 pm
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
Ken,

This is really nice. I like the colors in the sunlit foilage, and also the composition with the trunks to the sides. This far, my favorites are this one and number one (because of its great foreground).

Anders

by blovius on Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:30 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
the water. i live near a lot of running water. it has such power and force. i even run it on occasion in an open canoe to experience it up close and personal. what a rush - literally and figuratively.

so, what i don't understand here is the foamy, soft and textureless rendition of running water. what's up with that?

this image does evoke a sense of emerging from the woods, perhaps after a hike of some length. having done this many times, i am always lured/urged forward on the hike by the ever intensifying siren call of the rushing tumbling water. the water in this image has no "sound". it's foamy and ethereal. it's like watching tv with the sound turned off.

so again, what's up with that?
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by Kerry on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:13 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Ah, the never-ceasing debate regarding shutter speed and flowing water. I don't think that there's a right or wrong answer to this; it's highly subjective.

In this instance--and of course this is no more than my opinion--I think the softer water works well with the rest of the elements in the image. The soft light--in the trees and on the water--and hints of fall color convey a peaceful, pastoral ambience that is (again, IMO) complemented by the soft water. That's not to say that a shorter SS with the resulting "harsher" water wouldn't work--I can't venture a meaningul opinion on that hypothetical without seeing the results--but it's my sense that it would be more jarring and that the outcome might well be a clashing juxtaposition of competing moods.

Ken, I'd love to see a scan of this without the whites blown. You've done a nice job of including the foreground trees in the composition without allowing them to distract, as is their wont. You've handled the elements in this tricky scene in expert fashion, to say nothing of the technical aspects of the image. This is one of my favorites of your images that I've seen to date.

--Kerry

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:37 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Mark, I do not intentionally try to blur the water. It is a product of the other settings that I use and the time of day.

Shooting at 85mm I needed to stop down to maintain DOF between the trees and the water and the BG. So either 22 or 32 was used here...
Ken Cravillion

by blovius on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:50 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
i understand that consideration, but there are faster films with incredibly fine grain. i've even done the two shot thing with an image like this in order to render the water without the fuzz.

i'm not trying to be a contrarian here. i think image #2 without the fuzz would be majestic.
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Another very nice shot of this location!

by Lillian Roberts on Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:02 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
I like this one -- better balance than #2, and it has a nice peaceful feel, as opposed to #1 which is the most dramatic to date.

Are the whites more detailed in the film? I recognize the challenges of preserving whites in soft water. Personally I like the soft effect, but others have a point about liking a shorter shutter. I really prefer the way you chose to expose in this instance because I think it fits the overall mood of the image. In #1 it could have worked with a faster shutter for drama, but the way you did it gives it a dream-like quality that is equally pleasing, just in a different way.
Lillian Roberts
NSN Member #130

by Youssef Ismail on Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:17 pm
Youssef Ismail
Forum Contributor
Ken,

That branch that has its leaves right in the middle of the frame detracts from the whole scene, had they not been there I think this would have been the best of the series so far.
Youssef Ismail
[url=http://www.organiclightphoto.com/nsn][u]Organic Light Photography[/u][/url] [b](Website Updated 12-3-06)[/b]

[b][color=red][url=http://www.organiclightphoto.com/services/lectures.asp]See the 2007 Organic Light Photography Workshop Schedule[/url][/color][/b]

[b][i][color=green]See the world in a new light...

...Organic Light[/i][/b][/color]

by Dan Baumbach on Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:36 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
Very nice, Ken. You have a bunch of nice ones here.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by Jeffrey on Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:31 pm
Jeffrey
Forum Contributor
Ken, what a wonderful series! I particularly like this one and 'the third one'. I think the flowing water works well here. After capturing water that way myself a few times, and getting the actual falling water the way I wanted (kinda like you did), there will always be nearly fully white areas where the water is landing and churning. I don't think you have blown whites, but rather the same slow shutter phenomenon that gave you the fine falls. Thanks for showing these great images.
Jeffrey Sipress
Santa Barbara, CA USA

[url=http://jeffreysipress.com/]My Photo Website[/url]

by Maxis Gamez on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:35 pm
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
Very nice composition! :wink:
Maxis Gamez

by DMcLarty on Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:47 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
A very nice series Ken ... after repeatedly looking at all of the series I like #2 &3 best of all. I think I like them best as the far bank... looks like a road...is hidden behind the trees.

I like to think that such a scene as this is often hidden and the adventure of finding and capturing the image is a large part of the mystic of our photography.:wink:
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

14 posts |