Ubehebe

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Ubehebe Crater - California
GFX-50S, 23mm (~18mm FF equiv.), ISO 100, f/9, 1/25
Best viewed by clicking on the image to see it against a dark background.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by david fletcher on Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:54 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Powerful image EJ. Great use of the lines and composition.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:48 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Amazing view and mood! Very evocative, like a scene from the dawn of creation.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Peter Ireland on Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:41 am
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
What a view! It looks devoid of all life and could easily be a crater on another planet.

by Scott Kacos on Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:50 am
Scott Kacos
Lifetime Member
Member #:00321
An amazing image E.J.! I love it as is, and would like it equally well without the sky and background. Very cool!
Scott
NSN 0321

by John Labrenz on Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:39 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Loads of detail in the full size!
Really cool!

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:30 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Sure looks like an alien place! I had no idea such a place existed. Amazing view!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Dean McLeod on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:31 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Loving all of the fine detail and depth here, E.J..

Do you find it necessary to focus stack with the GFX and a wide angle lens? Can you pull the ISO lower than 100? Just curious, as the format has always intrigued me.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Dean McLeod wrote:Loving all of the fine detail and depth here, E.J..

Do you find it necessary to focus stack with the GFX and a wide angle lens? Can you pull the ISO lower than 100? Just curious, as the format has always intrigued me.
With the automatic focus bracketing on the GFX cameras, I literally shoot everything stacked and then decide later if I need it or not.  That allows me to use a more optimal aperture than stopping down to f/16 or f/22.  My method of shooting with an auto-stacking camera is to focus on the closest thing in the frame, compose, and then release the shutter and let the camera take all of the shots out to infinity and then I decide later and often use Helicon Focus to put together however many shots I need to get everything that I want sharp in the frame to be sharp.

by Dean McLeod on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:04 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:

With the automatic focus bracketing on the GFX cameras, I literally shoot everything stacked and then decide later if I need it or not.  That allows me to use a more optimal aperture than stopping down to f/16 or f/22.  My method of shooting with an auto-stacking camera is to focus on the closest thing in the frame, compose, and then release the shutter and let the camera take all of the shots out to infinity and then I decide later and often use Helicon Focus to put together however many shots I need to get everything that I want sharp in the frame to be sharp.
Thanks for the detailed response, E.J.. I use the same technique with my Nikons, rarely stopping down past f11. There’s a big drop in sharpness past that point, very noticeable on large prints. I’ve always been a focus stacker, so to me it’s normal, but a friend of mine who is not into stacking tried the GFX and hated it. He said the DOF was much less than a FF, so I was curious of your technique to overcome that. 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Dean McLeod wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response, E.J.. I use the same technique with my Nikons, rarely stopping down past f11. There’s a big drop in sharpness past that point, very noticeable on large prints. I’ve always been a focus stacker, so to me it’s normal, but a friend of mine who is not into stacking tried the GFX and hated it. He said the DOF was much less than a FF, so I was curious of your technique to overcome that. 
It's around one stop less than FF due to the larger sensor requiring a longer focal length lens to get the same effective field of view.  Using his logic, we should be shooting with phones with tiny sensors and nearly infinate DOF ;)

by NUNZG on Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:42 pm
NUNZG
Forum Contributor
WOW awesome effect of those clouds they seem to me like
a lid for the crater amazing place

12 posts |