Spirit

Posted by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
The cool waters and glowing vibrancy of this cloud forest in the mountains lifts the spirit and fills the soul with peace and calmness.

Nikon Z7II, Nikkor 24-70 f2.8S @ 40mm, f5.6, ISO64, 1/4 second. Focus stacked, polarizer.

Posted by:
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:08 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Beautiful scene Dean. The interplay between the shadows and light areas a joy. With you on the calming and serene effect these places have.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:02 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Oh, the amazing healing powers of nature, Dean. A beautiful view of what appears to be an amazing place to spend some time, and to just be. I love your composition and perspective which takes the viewer from the foreground darkness towards the uplifting light.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:54 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Such a talent for seeing this beauty and capturing the essence. I could dream of being there. What special light. Thank you!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ed Cordes on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Excellent image Dean. I really like the mysterious deep shadows offset by the sunlight in the background. To me you chose just the right amount of shutter speed. The water has enough detail to look real but still imply motion.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Dean McLeod on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:12 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Beautiful scene Dean.  The interplay between the shadows and light areas a joy.  With you on the calming and serene effect these places have.
Thank you, David! I could have stood in that river for hours, it was so calming!

by Dean McLeod on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:13 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Oh, the amazing healing powers of nature, Dean.  A beautiful view of what appears to be an amazing place to spend some time, and to just be.   I love your composition and perspective which takes the viewer from the foreground darkness towards the uplifting light.  

Carol.
Thank you, Carol. Just breathing the air and listening to the rushing sounds of the water was pure therapy for sure!

by Dean McLeod on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:15 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Such a talent for seeing this beauty and capturing the essence. I could dream of being there. What special light.   Thank you!
Thank you, Cynthia. It was so much fun to be there all alone without a soul around!

by Dean McLeod on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:16 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:Excellent image Dean.  I really like the mysterious deep shadows offset by the sunlight in the background.  To me you chose just the right amount of shutter speed.  The water has enough detail to look real but still imply motion.
Thank you, Ed. I couldn't have said it better; I personally love the mystery in the shadows!

by John Labrenz on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:19 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
so good!
I too like the chosen ss...and the lighter upper central parts that make the viewer wander into the image.
Well done,

by Dean McLeod on Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:19 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:so good!
I too like the chosen ss...and the lighter upper central parts that make the viewer wander into the image.
Well done,
Many thanks, John! Much appreciated.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Interesting how the image flows from light to mysterious darkness. I would have been tempted to even out the lighting a bit but find it really intriguing the way you have presented it.

by Dean McLeod on Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Interesting how the image flows from light to mysterious darkness.  I would have been tempted to even out the lighting a bit but find it really intriguing the way you have presented it.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments, E.J.. I also played with bringing out more shadow detail; it was certainly possible as I always shoot ETTR, so there's no blacks that are crushed. I found that brightening the shadows made the scene too 'busy', and it definitely had a more mysterious feel by keeping them dark.

It's fun to look at images like this printed large, as all the shadow details are there to see and it makes the eye linger a little longer;))

My goal was definitely to draw the viewer's eye through the scene towards the light.

It's always satisfying when I can see the final print in my mind's eye on location, then be able to process it how I envisioned.

by Peter Ireland on Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:35 am
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Dean: " My goal was definitely to draw the viewer's eye through the scene towards the light."

Nice thought process and execution. A very tranquil scene and a perfect place to while away a few hours.

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:52 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Peter Ireland wrote:Dean: " My goal was definitely to draw the viewer's eye through the scene towards the light."

Nice thought process and execution. A very tranquil scene and a perfect place to while away a few hours.
Thank you, Peter. I was in heaven having the privilege to spend time shooting here all by myself, which seems more of a rarity these days.

by Peter McCabe on Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:56 am
Peter McCabe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01046
I can almost hear the water. I really like how the distant warm light draws you into the scene.
Peter Mc Cabe - Landscape Photographer Website Facebook YouTube

by Dean McLeod on Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:58 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Peter McCabe wrote:I can almost hear the water. I really like how the distant warm light draws you into the scene.
Many thanks, Peter for your thoughtful comments. Much appreciated!

17 posts |