La Paz

Posted by Dean McLeod on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
Perhaps only in my dreams did I believe such a beautiful scene existed in nature, until I witnessed La Paz waterfall in Costa Rica.

At a towering 121 feet, these magnificent falls are truly a page from a fairy tale.

Nikon Z7II, Nikkor Z 14-24mm f2.8S @18mm, ISO 250, 1/20 second for foliage. ISO 31, 1/4 second for water. Polarizer.

Posted by:
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Gorgeous vista Dean. Excellent blending for the foliage and water!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:46 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
A dream-like place for sure. Beautifully seen here with lovely greens and that azure pool at the bottom. This picture makes me want to hear the rushing sounds of that water.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:04 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A must click for the full effect of this timeless landscape, it looks to me like a scene from the land that time forgot. I would not be surprised to see a Pterodactyl fly in through the lush vegetation and land to drink from those amazing azure/emerald waters. Beautifully done, as always, Dean. What a stunningly beautiful image.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Dean McLeod on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:08 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Gorgeous vista Dean.  Excellent blending for the foliage and water!
Thank you very much, David!

by Dean McLeod on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:A dream-like place for sure. Beautifully seen here with lovely greens and that azure pool at the bottom. This picture makes me want to hear the rushing sounds of that water.
Thank you, Cynthia! It was amazing to experience!

by Dean McLeod on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:14 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:A must click for the full effect of this timeless landscape, it looks to me like a scene from the land that time forgot.  I would not be surprised to see a Pterodactyl fly in through the lush vegetation and land to drink from those amazing azure/emerald waters.  Beautifully done, as always, Dean.  What a stunningly beautiful image.

Carol.
Thank you for the kind comments, Carol! I kept saying to my wife, “this place is like Jurassic Park!” Lol.

by Peter Ireland on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 am
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Wow, Dean, that looks like an amazing place to visit. The lush greens and turquoise water are very pleasing to the eye and really makes this image pop.

by Dean McLeod on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:44 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Peter Ireland wrote:Wow, Dean, that looks like an amazing place to visit. The lush greens and turquoise water are very pleasing to the eye and really makes this image pop.

Hi Peter, Costa Rica is such a beautiful country to visit. So much to see and photograph. Thank you!

by ADKShooter on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:47 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Outstanding image and the use of blending to achieve the beautiful final image you were looking for. Wonderful work.

by John Labrenz on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:30 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
love those colors. nice ss used for the water too.

by Dean McLeod on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:41 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
ADKShooter wrote:Outstanding image and the use of blending to achieve the beautiful final image you were looking for.  Wonderful work.
Thank you! These low light shots are always challenging to get the foliage sharp when it's moving, while you're also focus stacking. Always lots of manual blending to piece it together from all of the sharpest files, but that's half the fun for me!

by Dean McLeod on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:45 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:love those colors. nice ss used for the water too.
Thanks John! It's amazing how many of my customers ask why the waterfalls prints look like cotton candy;) Sometimes it just looks messy when we freeze the water! Do you find that too? I think freezing the water looks good on a very large waterfall like Takkakaw, but on smaller ones, I like 1/4 to 1/6 second which seems to be the sweet spot for nice texture.

by John Labrenz on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:51 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Dean McLeod wrote:
John Labrenz wrote:love those colors. nice ss used for the water too.
Thanks John! It's amazing how many of my customers ask why the waterfalls prints look like cotton candy;) Sometimes it just looks messy when we freeze the water! Do you find that too? I think freezing the water looks good on a very large waterfall like Takkakaw, but on smaller ones, I like 1/4 to 1/6 second which seems to be the sweet spot for nice texture.

I'm fond of smoothed waterfalls...as long as a slight bit of texture remains....but, some absolutely hate it...lol
As for the right ss speed to get that little bit of texture...that is dependant upon the speed of the water.
So, sometimes it might take some trial and error to get the desired result.

by Mary Brun on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:46 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:A must click for the full effect of this timeless landscape, it looks to me like a scene from the land that time forgot.  I would not be surprised to see a Pterodactyl fly in through the lush vegetation and land to drink from those amazing azure/emerald waters.  Beautifully done, as always, Dean.  What a stunningly beautiful image.

Carol.
I agree with Carol, it looks like the scene of a lost world, it is so wonderful.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Dean McLeod on Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:36 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Mary Brun wrote:

Carol.
I agree with Carol, it looks like the scene of a lost world, it is so wonderful.
I agree too.... thanks Mary! We loved Costa Rica!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Love this - the round pool at the bottom is so compelling.

by Dean McLeod on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Love this - the round pool at the bottom is so compelling.
I'm happy that it resonates! Thanks very much E.J..

by Dean McLeod on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:26 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Thank you for the Editor's Pick on my image! It is an honour, and very much appreciated.

by Peter McCabe on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 am
Peter McCabe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01046
Really Beautiful.
Peter Mc Cabe - Landscape Photographer Website Facebook YouTube

23 posts |