Liquid and Solid.

Posted by Jens Peermann on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Carson River in Hope Valley, CA. Taken in early February of this year.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super shot Jens. Like the flow and lines leading to the distant mountain range.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mary Brun on Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:22 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
A pleasant winter landscape with cold and icy tones.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by ADKShooter on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
david fletcher wrote:Super shot Jens.  Like the flow and lines leading to the distant mountain range.
+1.  When I first saw this image, David's thoughts were exactly what I was thinking as well. Very nice image.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:47 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A reminder of things to come, Jens! A lovely winter scene with nice leading lines taking the eye to the distant mountains.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:35 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I really like the warm and cool contrast here-the lovely sunlight and the cold snow. Very nice perspective too.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by John Labrenz on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:24 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
I too like how the eye leads to the distant mtn.
Would have loved a focus stack here.

by Jens Peermann on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:Would have loved a focus stack here.
A few years ago I would have agreed with this statement without hesitation. But my view of what photography is and how it can be used has changed.
Photography - as I see it now - is visual art, an arrangement of lines and shapes in combination with a color or gray scale harmony. It is very similar to painting (with the exception that photographers cannot move the buildings, trees, mountains etc. to arrange the perfect composition as painters can) and studying paintings is a very effective way to learn photography (and by "photography" I refer to the visual result, not the technical aspects and procedures to produce it).
And just like paintings, photographs can do two things: convey information (visual art is the most fundamental form of education) and trigger feelings/emotions. But unlike paintings that mostly aim at rousing emotions, the vast majority of photographs aims at technical perfection and ignores the potential for going deeper, to the point where the slightest deviation from recording a scene with meticulous accuracy is considered a flaw.
It wasn't always like that. One of the greatest photographs of all time, Alfred Eisentaedt's "Drum Major" (https://www.swanngalleries.com/news/wp- ... 24x798.jpg) is so full of "flaws" (motion blur, focus on the wall behind the subject, etc.) that no editor would publish it today. But look at the joy is conveys, the little rascals mocking the drum major just like we all would have liked to do given the chance. Those are the priorities and they make all technical flaws irrelevant in comparison.
While the picture I posted here is a completely different subject, the principle is the same. The title is "Liquid and Solid", referring to the two states of water we see here. And that's what I want the viewer to focus on. The distant mountains are part of the composition, but not the subject and must not draw too much attention. So it's actually helpful to have them a little soft. It allows the viewer to concentrate on the foreground (and maybe even start dreaming) without being distracted by the mountains.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

8 posts |