California Nebula

Posted by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
I'm enjoying the Sigma 105mmf1.4 for Astro; it makes polar aligning less of a nit-picking process since I can keep the exposures short.
Canon modded 60D, ISO1600, 545 frames at 15 seconds each, Light pollution filter(which robs me of one stop of light). Unfortunately, the images were taken well before it rose high in the sky; clouds spoiled the best part of the night. 
They were stacked in Astropixel Processor, processed in photoshop, Capture One, and Topaz denoise. 
I wonder, with the night sky and all the colourful objects in it, can night creatures like Owls see them? If so, then the night sky must be a fantastic thing to behold.

Posted by:
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437

by david fletcher on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:13 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Not thought of it that way before Scott. If we can see this, why cannot other creatures. There are so many sensory extras that we do not have that other creatures do have, why should we presume they cannot. (for hunting I get it... but who knows).

A stellar image in all regards!!!!! Wow!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mary Brun on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:18 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Another stunning image, I fully share your question and your final appreciation.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Dan Kearl on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:32 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Crazy color you got with your mod camera in 15 sec. shots even though you stacked a lot of them,, nice wide view.

by Carol Clarke on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:04 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Fascinating image with that wonderful vivid coloured plume in the night sky, Scott!

As for your thoughts on what can see what in the night sky - there is so much info on the net that proves that creatures from Seals to Birds during migration to Dung Beetles use the night sky to navigate, using the stars and their patterns and the milky way to determine their direction of travel. It makes incredible reading.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:27 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Another amazing image-looks like a flame in the sky. I love you question- I think Carol has the answer! Wouldn't it be wonderful to see this through a bird's eye.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:39 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Dan Kearl wrote:Crazy color you got with your mod camera in 15 sec. shots even though you stacked a lot of them,, nice wide view.
There's a lot of debate in the astro community about whether long exposures or many short ones are better. I have four modded cameras by different companies, and the Hydrogen Alpha response is quite different between them, in some cases the differences are dramatic. I have an old Canon XSi that has incredible response to Ha, but it's so limited in high ISO ability, I rarely use it anymore. 

by ADKShooter on Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:20 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Another awe inspiring image in your catalogue of night sky shots. Beautifully done.

by John Labrenz on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:39 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Amazing stuff!!!!

9 posts |