Vly in Fall

Posted by ADKShooter on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Nikon D3X, Zeiss 50mm F2.0
ISO 200, 1/50s, F10, Tripod

This vly area in the southern Adirondacks is totally underwater in Spring and early summer but by the Fall it can be drier than it was during the year this image was taken. The warm reflection surrounded by the cool area in shadows is what attracted me to this image. I was actually looking for a moose since there are always moose tracks but so far never a moose while I'm there.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Gorgeous colors and reflections, Warren. I like the 2 foreground stumps for perspective. I'll just imagine a moose there!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I like the break in warm and cool colors of the water that is defined by the stump. Image could benefit from slight darkening of trees in top portion of frame. That is where a split neutral density filter comes in handy when shooting. Just my thoughts.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ADKShooter on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:14 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:I like the break in warm and cool colors of the water that is defined by the stump. Image could benefit from slight darkening of trees in top portion of frame. That is where a split neutral density filter comes in handy when shooting. Just my thoughts.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I totally agree with your comment about a slight darkening of the trees in the top of the frame.  I actually played with it a lot with the graduated filter in LR and darkened it a bit (and lightened the lower half) already as you view it. Originally it was a much more contrasty scene. When viewed on the Naturescapes site I agree that I probably didn't go far enough with the top.  Thanks for the comment.

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Shame about the Moose Warren. Some states have them throwing themselves at you. This is gorgeous and a stunningly beautiful autumn scene.

Fabulous view!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:19 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Having looked up what 'vly' meant, I can now appreciate the landscape before me, Warren. Wonderful colours, and some nice areas that make their own scene within the main frame - so much to enjoy!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Mary Brun on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
The colors of the trees in the background and the reflection in the water are really incredible.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Warren
I hadn’t clicked on the image before I made my previous comment. When clicked on, it looks good. With the darker surround it looks much better than with the light surround. Most images here look better when clicked on and I just forgot to do that. Sorry.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ADKShooter on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey Warren
I hadn’t clicked on the image before I made my previous comment. When clicked on, it looks good. With the darker surround it looks much better than with the light surround. Most images here look better when clicked on and I just forgot to do that. Sorry.

Joe
Hi Joe,

No need to apologize.  Your comments are always welcome. I actually still agree that probably another 1/2 stop darker in the background trees may have been better.  Thanks.   Warren

by John Labrenz on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:20 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Good colors, nice winding waterway.
Agree that the top could be darkened just a tad more.
The top of the image...the colorful trees...seem a little soft...

10 posts |