Kodachrome

Posted by Dean McLeod on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
These beautiful colored rocks and pebbles, seen just below the surface of the water on the shores of Two Medicine Lake in Glacier National Park are a curious phenomena, caused by a variety of geological factors and time.

The colors vary greatly depending on their iron rich mineral content and exposure to sunlight, oxygen, heat, and pressure when they were formed.

The last glaciers broke up the rocks, which were washed away in rivers and are now deposited throughout the many lakes in the park. Short summers keep the water very cold, prohibiting plant growth which results in the amazing crystal clear water.

Nikon D850, Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 @70mm, f8, ISO64, 1/2 second. Polarizer, 10 vertical shots stitched to panorama, focus stacked three times for a total of 30 shots combined. Native file size is over 82" wide. RRS and Novoflex panorama rig.

Last edited by Dean McLeod on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted by:
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Cool shot!!!  

Note that you can not cut and paste HTML formatted text as you just get a jumbled mess in the written description.  In order for it to look normal, you have to hit the little piece of paper icon at the far right (see picture - it's the last icon on the right) along the top of the text entry box when first posting, that strips the HTML prior to pasting the text.

by Dean McLeod on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:32 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Cool shot!!!  

Note that you can not cut and paste HTML formatted text as you just get a jumbled mess in the written description.  In order for it to look normal, you have to hit the little piece of paper icon at the far right (see picture - it's the last icon on the right) along the top of the text entry box when first posting, that strips the HTML prior to pasting the text.
Sorry about that E.J.! I think I have it fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

by John Labrenz on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:27 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Amazing colors!
This would make a very difficult jig saw puzzle....

by Dean McLeod on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:Amazing colors!
This would make a very difficult jig saw puzzle....
Thanks John! Haha, yes, this could be a toughie!

by Eia on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Wow, the colors are amazing as is detail. They look like jewels. Interesting read to appreciate the photo all the more. The almost eye level really shows it off
~AnnaMaria~

by Dean McLeod on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:24 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Eia wrote:Wow, the colors are amazing as is detail. They look like jewels. Interesting read to appreciate the photo all the more. The almost eye level really shows it off
Thanks so much! It's amazing what nature can create with time!

by Mary Brun on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:47 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Wonderful abstract texture of a thousand colors.
Mary
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Dean McLeod on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Mary Brun wrote:Wonderful abstract texture of a thousand colors.
Mary

I appreciate that Mary! Cheers!

by Carol Clarke on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I cannot resist walking along a beach or lakeside anywhere without searching through the pebbles underfoot, so this is a fascinating image for me!  I would probably have to be dragged away from this wonderful sight!  The colours are amazing and all the more fascinating after reading your description of their origins and journeys.  I can only imagine what this would look like in the 82" size.  :shock: 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Dean McLeod on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:I cannot resist walking along a beach or lakeside anywhere without searching through the pebbles underfoot, so this is a fascinating image for me!  I would probably have to be dragged away from this wonderful sight!  The colours are amazing and all the more fascinating after reading your description of their origins and journeys.  I can only imagine what this would look like in the 82" size.  :shock: 

Carol.
Thank you Carol for the thoughtful comments! Indeed, Glacier National Park is home to some amazing sights! I am excited to return and explore again soon!

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:54 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
So wonderful and unusual to see this-I wish I was there. Like Carol, I love picking up pretty stones. These are amazing. I'll bet this looks incredible at 82" wide!! Would love to see that.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Dean McLeod on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:17 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:So wonderful and unusual to see this-I wish I was there. Like Carol, I love picking up pretty stones.  These are amazing. I'll bet this looks incredible at 82" wide!! Would love to see that.
Thank you Cynthia! Yes, it's amazing looking at all of the different colors and imagining how they were formed over thousands of years!

13 posts |