Fairies waterfall

Posted by Mary Brun on Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
Who knows when I will be able to return to my lovely woods...

Canon EOS 5D
Canon EF 17 - 40 mm f/4.0 L USM
ISO 50 - 6s - f/22 - 24 mm
Exposure compensation: -0.3 
Polarizer 
Tripod
ND graduated in post production

Click on to view on dark background
View larger size
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

Posted by:
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Love this. I am wondering if a 4x5 presentation taking some of the negative space off of the left would make it even better.

by ADKShooter on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:13 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
E.J. Peiker wrote:Love this. I am wondering if a 4x5 presentation taking some of the negative space off of the left would make it even better.
+1.  A beautiful waterfall that you caught at a great exposure.  Although I too would probably take a bit off from the left, the negative space does add a bit of mystery to the image.  In either case a magical looking place.

by david fletcher on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:33 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Wonderful image Mary. Love that you retained the mood. Well worth the large view. Much to enjoy
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mary Brun on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:21 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Thanks so much E.J., ADKShoteer and David,
I actually wanted to create an image inspired by low key shots of the forests
where blacks and dark parts prevail to emphasize that atmosphere of mystery and little light of the forests themselves,
but maybe I did not do it right, :)  I like them a lot of those pictures and would like to experiment.
I attach here the same image normally developed.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:44 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Hi Mary

I can see why you like the "mysterious" look- the second view is not as exciting. But in the first view I think just a little bit off the left would still work, because there is some solid black there that perhaps unbalances the picture. And I mean just a little bit off the left, for my taste. It's a beautiful scene and beautifully presented, no matter what. I am sorry you miss your lovely woods. I hope you can get back there soon!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Eia on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:55 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Mary Brun wrote:Thanks so much E.J., ADKShoteer and David,
I actually wanted to create an image inspired by low key shots of the forests
where blacks and dark parts prevail to emphasize that atmosphere of mystery and little light of the forests themselves,
but maybe I did not do it right, :)  I like them a lot of those pictures and would like to experiment.
I attach here the same image normally developed.
~AnnaMaria~

by Eia on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
What a huge difference! This is beautiful
~AnnaMaria~

by Mary Brun on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:04 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much Cynthia and AnnaMaria  :)
Mary

by Carol Clarke on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:40 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I love your original image, just as you presented it with the dark, mysterious, magical mood, Mary. You have captured perfectly that wonderful atmosphere of the dark woods as they live and breathe....... highlighted only by the minimal light filtering down onto the waterfall and the green foliage. Wonderful image! Bravo!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:06 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Carol Clarke wrote:I love your original image, just as you presented it with the dark, mysterious, magical mood, Mary.  You have captured perfectly that wonderful atmosphere of the dark woods as they live and breathe....... highlighted only by the minimal light filtering down onto the waterfall and the green foliage.  Wonderful image!  Bravo!

Carol.
I'm with Carol on this one – I love the dark aspects of the original. Great work, Mary!

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
For me it wan't the dark, and I never suggested that the shadows be opened up, it was the amount of the dark. By keeping the dark image and cropping just a bit off the left you keep the same mood but improve the composition. In the end, the only thing that matters is how Mary likes the image based on her experience, the rest of us weren't there so we can only offer our opinion based on what we see on the computer screen

by Mary Brun on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:04 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Thanks Carol, thanks Ron.
Mary

by Mary Brun on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:04 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:For me it wan't the dark, and I never suggested that the shadows be opened up, it was the amount of the dark.  By keeping the dark image and cropping just a bit off the left you keep the same mood but improve the composition.  In the end, the only thing that matters is how Mary likes the image based on her experience, the rest of us weren't there so we can only offer our opinion based on what we see on the computer screen
Thanks E.J. for your explanation, sorry, I just didn't understand your precedent suggestion.
Sometimes I have problems with the English language.  :oops:
Now I understand what you mean and I really thank you for the advice which is always very welcome. 
Mary
Mary

by John Labrenz on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:13 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Such a pretty place and a wonderful image!
I agree with taking a little crop off the left side....but leaving the exposure as is!

by Mary Brun on Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:47 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much John.
Mary

by Peter McCabe on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:48 am
Peter McCabe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01046
This is a very fine image. I love the lighter green colour and how it helps lift the scene. Perhaps a small crop on the left would help the comp slightly.
Peter Mc Cabe - Landscape Photographer Website Facebook YouTube

by Mary Brun on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:09 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Peter McCabe wrote:This is a very fine image. I love the lighter green colour and how it helps lift the scene. Perhaps a small crop on the left would help the comp slightly.
Thank you so much Peter.
Mary
Mary

18 posts |