WINTER - MORNING - SUN

Posted by Gary Gulash on Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
I am oddly attracted to the strange and eerie lighting effects I see in the sky over the mountains in winter. A longish telephoto was my weapon of choice today to add to the effect. This is probably more an image I made for my personal reasons but I thought I would share it here to see what others think...I know it is not a typical "landscape" photo. 
Nikon D4, 200-400 VR @ 270, f7.1, 1/4000, 500 iso, -1.7 Exposure Compensation, full frame, very little adjustment from raw file.

Posted by:
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor

by Joe Lemm on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:01 am
Joe Lemm
Forum Contributor
Eerie for sure and mysterious. Probably not one I would hang on my wall but it is fun to look at and a story is told.

by david fletcher on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:03 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Works for me. Love the light and mood created. Speaks volumes for the weather in the mountains.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:00 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
I like it as it appears to show the rugged country that has ever changing weather patterns. Once and a while we have a similar look in the Adirondacks as a result of fog/mist coming off an open body of water near the mountains in Winter. Your use of a telephoto was the perfect choice as a change of pace for this type of look.

by Carol Clarke on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:20 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
'Typical landscapes' work just fine - but thinking out of the box and capturing the strong lines, mystical light, wonderful mood and atmosphere of this winter scene absolutely works for me, Gary. A stunningly beautiful image, totally compelling and I Love it.

In the right setting, this would be a definite wall hanger!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:21 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I'm quite impressed that this isn't "typical". In fact it is quite magical! A wonderful atmospheric mood with an air of mystery . Beautifully done- I can see why you are fond of it.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by John Labrenz on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:08 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Super cool atmo with the sun trying to burn off the fog/low clouds.
Eerie in a way.
The feeling I get from this is the word....survival...Winter can be brutally cold up here, yet the vegetation and the animals survive.

Edit...well...maybe it will knock off some of those pine beetles...lol

Well done!

by Gary Gulash on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:33 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
John, I agree it may help the Mountain Pine Beetle situation but honestly I think it is a little too late for that, Jasper is a disaster - wide swaths of dead trees everywhere. I do wonder if the beetle situation will continue its march southward into Banff. My last trip south along the Icefields Parkway I was surprised that the "red/dead" trees were at the north end of Banff NP. Better get those landscape images of Banff now.

by John Labrenz on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:47 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Gary Gulash wrote:John, I agree it may help the Mountain Pine Beetle situation but honestly I think it is a little too late for that, Jasper is a disaster - wide swaths of dead trees everywhere.  I do wonder if the beetle situation will continue its march southward into Banff. My last trip south along the Icefields Parkway I was surprised that the "red/dead" trees were at the north end of Banff NP. Better get those landscape images of Banff now.

Yes, Jasper and area have been hit hard...and it is too late.
Hopefully it may at least slow the spread eastward and northward from the park.
Haven't been to Banff this year due to covid, but yes I also saw a progression south in my trips there last year.
Warming up this week...Spring is on the way :D

by Peter Ireland on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:05 am
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
A dark and moody capture for sure.Nice work!

by Mary Brun on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:56 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
A beautiful image, I love the sky so interesting and full of shadow and light at the same time.
Very nice contrast between the mountain in the foreground and the sky in the background.
Mary
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Really cool minimalist shot. Just as good cropping off the entire right half and leaving an even more minimalist vertical shot.

12 posts |