MacKay Falls - New Zealand

Posted by 1943mike on Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Canon 10D, 17-40mm f/4 @40mm, 1/60 sec., f/6.3, ISO: 200. Hand-held; breathing hard; lousy light. OK, that's too many excuses :) .

Captured December 29, 2003.

Very reluctant to post this one. Way too much work in PS to try to recreate what I remember having seen while there ... of course many of my little gray cells have crossed the bar since that time so it's probably just my fantasy memory to which I refer.

Last day on the Milford Track. Heading to Sandfly Point to be attacked by those little buggers and wait for the boat to pick us up.

Here's the larger image:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50923112548_c923dbfb03_h.jpg

Mike

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by John Labrenz on Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:19 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Please don't be afraid to post anything here!
Posting, contributions, critique and comments make us all better photographers.
On this one...everyone needs to view the large version link to better appreciate.

Such a pretty sight!
I like the framing, the light and the greens.
The one thing that I might work on a bit more is the water, esp in the upper falls as it seems to be quite a bit bluer and incongruent to the more greenish water in the lower lit areas.
Thx for posting for us to view and for you to relive the moment.

Aside from the flies, it must have been an amazing place to be!

by david fletcher on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:08 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Impressive sight Mike. Well worth looking at the large view. Must have been a wonderful trip. John has made some very good points and sums it up well, so keep them coming.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's a very nice photo but I think a bit oversaturated in the blue channel - don't be afraid to post :)

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:14 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Looks great enlarged. Good for you for posting this -no excuses needed. So nice to get to travel with you to these beautiful places. :)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by 1943mike on Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 pm
1943mike
Forum Contributor
Thanks all.

I always appreciate your insights as to how I might improve my vision, photographic and digital skills.

BTW, it was among the 1/2 dozen of my favorite hikes since I began hiking at age 57. That was over 20 years and several hundred hikes ago. New Zealand was a photographers dream. Many, many places that were crying out to be captured as photographic images.

While there I visited an aunt in Timaru (now deceased) and her daughter who lives in Greymouth - one of my cousins with whom I keep in touch. I met an artist and his wife who were friends of my late aunt and enjoyed their company while I was in Christchurch.  All in all a most enjoyable trip.

Mike

by Gary Gulash on Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:40 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
The photoshop has created an image that doesn't look like a straight out of the camera result. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact I really like the esthetics of the final image VERY much. Really nice balance to the composition and just a beautiful image to behold. Love it!!!

7 posts |