A late post of comet NEOWISE

Posted by Diane Miller on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
I've been too busy to be active here for several years, but look forward to being back now.  I'll jump in with another comet NEOWISE.  We had a decent view from our deck and good skies but decided to see what we could do from the Alvord Desert in SE Oregon. There was more smoke and dust in the air than we wanted, but it was very dark at the new moon.

Canon 1DX Mk2, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L macro IS, at f/2.8, ISO 6400, 8 sec., daylight WB. (That is a very good lens for stars but not a very useful focal length.)  Shot in landscape orientation and then the camera tilted up a little (on a gimbal head) to capture a second frame with more of the tail.  Wish I had gone further -- didn't know I would be able to bring out this much of the ion tail. 

Tonal adjustments in Lightroom; had to go to Photoshop and do the pano by hand. Cropped a little from both sides; only about the top 1/3 is from the second frame.  Color Balance to tone down a brown tint and Topaz DeNoise AI and Nik ColorEfexPro Tonal Contrast and Pro Contrast to bring out the tails.  Hue and Saturation to minimize some color mottling from the tonal stretch.

Posted by:
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor

by John Labrenz on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:54 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Very nice neowise image!
Nice work in capturing the ion tail!
Do you recall what day this was taken?
Also, thx for the processing info!!!!

by Diane Miller on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:35 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Thanks John! My recall is highly suspect, but Lightroom tells me it was July 19. (I'm a little late to the party here.)

by John Labrenz on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Diane Miller wrote:Thanks John!  My recall is highly suspect, but Lightroom tells me it was July 19.  (I'm a little late to the party here.)

Thanks Diane;

Yes, that timeframe makes sense. 
Was just wondering about current visibility...as I haven't taken any since the last week of July...still haven't gotten around to processing them...lol

by Diane Miller on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:48 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
I think it's long gone, unfortunately.  I shot it the 23rd and the tail was much dimmer, with no ion tail visible, but the head was showing its blue-green color with dimmer competing light.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Excellent shot, especially the secondary tail.

by Diane Miller on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:29 am
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. -- processing could be more sophisticated. I'll work on it more as I have time.

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Great shot of the whole tail and nice mountains for contrast. Thanks for all your processing information!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

8 posts |