Crescent Falls

Posted by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
The Canadian Rockies are a treasure chest of gems like the beautiful Crescent Falls located in west-central Alberta. It is a true sensory experience to witness the roar of the water as it cascades over the rock faces, creating a mist and atmosphere within itself under a star-filled sky and the bright light of a full moon.

[font=Muli, sans-serif]Nikon D800E, Nikkor 24-70 2.8 @36mm. The land was focus stacked f5.6 for 2 seconds, ISO 800 if I remember correctly. The last shots of the night were for the moon, zoomed to 70mm, f5.6, ISO 100 @1/250 second to retain lunar detail, and blended in post to overcome equipment limitations. At 36mm the camera records it too small, and I always strive for the final image to appear as I saw it with my own eyes.[/font]

Last edited by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A gorgeous image, Dean! Love the mood created by the mist and moonlight.

by Dan Kearl on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:04 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Beautiful image, I assume a blend?

by Mark Boranyak on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Wow. Just a lovely shot. 

Thanks for sharing.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:25 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What a magical moment you've captured! It seems to be out of some fairy tale. It is so wonderful to know such places exist-thank you for the opportunity to see it.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:04 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:A gorgeous image, Dean! Love the mood created by the mist and moonlight.

Thank you, Ron! It was a night that I won't soon forget. :)

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:25 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Dan Kearl wrote:Beautiful image, I assume a blend?

Hi Dan, thank you! There was a bit of blending, but not as much as it may appear. Mostly to clean up noise in the shadows. This shot was planned far in advance with The Photographer's Ephemeris so I could be there when everything lined up the way I had visualized.

It stays light enough at this latitude in the summer to shoot with some ambient twilight at around 11 pm. I did so as a backup to get all of the land area as clean as possible with a low ISO, but didn't end up using them much.

The majority of what you see happened at about 3am. It was a little freaky sitting down there by myself for half of the night, waiting for the moon to inch across the sky until it positioned itself over the falls, but the tripod didn't move the whole time. I ended up using some of the earlier files by darkening them and doing some minor blending to clean up some shadow noise, but surprisingly I was able to keep my ISO fairly low as these falls are in an amphitheater and that bright moonlight was reflecting off of the rock walls a lot. 

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Mark Boranyak wrote:Wow. Just a lovely shot. 

Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the kind comments Mark, thank you!

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What a magical moment you've captured! It seems to be out of some fairy tale. It is so wonderful to know such places exist-thank you for the opportunity to see it.

That means a lot Cynthia, thank you so much! I have been VERY lucky with this image and it seems to resonate with a lot of people for some reason.

I have been honored with a few awards for it; it won the night photography category in the recent World Photography Organization awards in London, England, was featured in an Outdoor Photographer magazine digital issue, and currently graces the cover of the June/July issue of Reader's Digest 'Our Canada' magazine.

What more could I ask for? Lol! Lucky to say the least!

by Dan Kearl on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Dean,
Thanks for sharing your info on this remarkable photo. Contest entry...
You worked for it.
Congratulations!

by Eia on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:16 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
My jaw dropped. Stunning! Interesting to read how you pulled it all together. Agree....contest worthy.
~AnnaMaria~

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:38 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Dan Kearl wrote:Dean,
Thanks for sharing your info on this remarkable photo. Contest entry...
You worked for it.
Congratulations!

Thanks Dan! 

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Eia wrote:My jaw dropped. Stunning! Interesting to read how you pulled it all together. Agree....contest worthy.

Thanks a million AnnaMarie :))

by John Labrenz on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:51 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
This is AWESOME!
I know this area like the back of my hand...this is a fantastic rendition of crescent falls!
i wouldn't be out there at 3am though...the area is polluted with grizzlies and esp cougars along the canyon!

OK....having said that....you are only allowed ONE post per day in landscapes...I will leave this one here...but be mindful for future uploads

Also, we encourage posters to provide tech details of their uploads...

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:This is AWESOME!
I know this area like the back of my hand...this is a fantastic rendition of crescent falls!
i wouldn't be out there at 3am though...the area is polluted with grizzlies and esp cougars along the canyon!

OK....having said that....you are only allowed ONE post per day in landscapes...I will leave this one here...but be mindful for future uploads

Hi John! Thanks for the kind comments and it's great to chat with someone who knows the area. It was definitely a little freaky sitting down there alone in the middle of the night! Rest assured I spent most of the time peering behind me with my headlight, bearspray in hand;)

I actually posted this photo today, and my other one was yesterday.

I'll be happy to dig up my details and edit the post; thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers, Dean

by John Labrenz on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Dean McLeod wrote:

Hi John! Thanks for the kind comments and it's great to chat with someone who knows the area. It was definitely a little freaky sitting down there alone in the middle of the night! Rest assured I spent most of the time peering behind me with my headlight, bearspray in hand;)

That you did....i see that now...my apologies!
Yes,  I too always carry my bearspray when out in the Nordegg area....not fully convinced that it helps, but it does make me feel better.
Still wouldn't catch me out there at 3am...my hat is off to you....lol

by Dean McLeod on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:
Dean McLeod wrote:

That you did....i see that now...my apologies!
Yes,  I too always carry my bearspray when out in the Nordegg area....not fully convinced that it helps, but it does make me feel better.
Still wouldn't catch me out there at 3am...my hat is off to you....lol
Haha, it's not something I would do again anytime soon!

by david fletcher on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Fabulous image. Immense! Very well done Dean
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Dean McLeod on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:13 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Fabulous image.  Immense!   Very well done Dean

Thanks so much David! You have an incredible wildlife portfolio yourself!

Cheers!

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:22 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Dean McLeod wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What a magical moment you've captured! It seems to be out of some fairy tale. It is so wonderful to know such places exist-thank you for the opportunity to see it.

That means a lot Cynthia, thank you so much! I have been VERY lucky with this image and it seems to resonate with a lot of people for some reason.

I have been honored with a few awards for it; it won the night photography category in the recent World Photography Organization awards in London, England, was featured in an Outdoor Photographer magazine digital issue, and currently graces the cover of the June/July issue of Reader's Digest 'Our Canada' magazine.

What more could I ask for? Lol! Lucky to say the least!
Wow- congratulations!!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

26 posts |