Arthur River, Milford Track, New Zealand

Posted by 1943mike on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Canon 10D, 17-40 f/4 @ 17mm, 1/400 sec., f/11, ISO: 200

I took this shot on December 29th, 2003. I think it was from my last day on the Milford Track of which there are 4 (3nights).

I do wish I'd been able to capture more pixels but I did love the old Canon 10D. Some of those old 6mp files just sing to me - even if not this one.

Those of you who enjoy a great trail - albeit very regulated -should do this one if you have the means. One has to hike (tramp) with 40 or so other trampers and stay in a "hut" with the others each night. So, no tent required. Just a sleeping bag, some essentials, and food. The huts have cooking facilities as well as toilets and there are bunks for your sleeping bag.

Depending on the weather there are some very spectacular views (which, unfortunately I didn't get to see due to a whiteout blizzard) going over Mackinnon Pass on the third day. Fortunately there was a guide to lead us over the pass and all 40 of us into a shelter on top of the pass. The snowstorm passed within 1/2 hour or so and we were on our way again.

I wish I had E.J.'s gift for photography because I've looked at some of his magnificent images from his trip to the south island and they are really inspiring. This and, perhaps, one more will probably be all I post of my trip there back in December/January 2003/4.

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:06 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A beautiful image - a must click to get the full view and detail!  I love this one, Mike.  Great composition and much to enjoy, a real feast for the eyes.

I loved my 10D too, and I still have it in the house.  Some great trips and memories with that camera . :) 

Carol.

Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by 1943mike on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:04 pm
1943mike
Forum Contributor
Thanks Carol.

I gave my 10D to a fellow photographer who was going through some financially rough times back in 2005 or 2006. I sold both my Canon 30D and 40D some time ago. My present Canon gear is also very dated ... the original 5D and 7D. I do really like some of the files from the 5D more than the 7D. I keep the 7D for BIF using the original Canon 100-400. I now use the Olympus µ4/3 system nearly exclusively.

You have an artist's eye in your photography .. looked at some of your images.. super good!

Michael

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:25 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
A lovely view, Mike- that old camera served you well. I like how you framed this. Some new technology can really bring out the best in these old photos-Topaz AI for instance.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One of my favorite areas on Earth. I must get back down there. Thanks for the memory with your beautiful photo.

by Ed Cordes on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Very nice scene of a tranquil river and beautiful mountain. Yes, I loved my old 10D as well. Unfortunately the sensor was damaged due to my doing something stupid. However, I have since reprocessed some of those old images with great success.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by John Labrenz on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:54 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Wonderful mountain scene.
THX for brining back a great image from the early days of digital

7 posts |