Windswept White Pine

Posted by MalcolmBenn on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
I really think this image is cursed.  :) The first time I posted it, it showed up in Galleries Home but not in the Landscape Gallery so it needed to be deleted.  I then reposted it and everything went as it should but then it disappeared a few hours later so this is the third time I'll post it.  This windswept White Pine is probably the most photographed tree in Ontario but unfortunately it's dying and might not last another year.  This image is in the style of a group of famous Canadian landscape painters known as The Group of Seven.  I wish we had had clouds the times I was there but it was a clear blue sky both days.  The tree is growing out of a rock outcrop that juts out into Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.  Hopefully I'll get back under better conditions before we lose this iconic tree.

https://flic.kr/p/2hvBxLnWind Swept White Pine by Malcolm Benn, on Flickr
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

Posted by:
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Great detail, comp and side light. A classic B&W image. I love to see trees growing out of bare rock.
Camera, lens, exposure and data?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Carol Clarke on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Ah Ha!  The Twilight Zone tree....   I am not always a fan of B&W for nature/landscape images - but this is an exception.  A click shows the wonderful detail and the windswept growth flows beautifully across the frame.  Perfect level of contrast and use of light and shade.  Worth the wait and beautifully done, Malcolm. :)

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
So nice you got such a beautiful portrait of the iconic tree. Black & white seems so appropriate. I like the contrasts. I hope it stands a bit longer.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by John Labrenz on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
third time is a charm,,,,
Nice capture of this rugged and determined old Pine tree.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Interesting shot and great B&W work.

by MalcolmBenn on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:14 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much for the views, comments and compliments. This image was both incredibly easy to shoot and incredibly complicated. Without clouds it quickly became an exercise in minimalism .. a rugged windswept lone White Pine growing out of an essentially bare rock. The rock outcroppings in this area of Canada are known as the Canadian Shield and it's an amazing beautiful and rugged area. This isn't the grand landscape of Western Canada with the Rockies, it's much more intimate and consists of rocks, water and trees and little else (including crowds) but these smaller scenes can be absolutely stunning. As I mentioned in the posting comments, this image was inspired by the works of a group of famous Canadian Landscape painters called the Group of Seven. Over 40 years ago I had the privilege to meet and take a workshop with a well known Canadian Landscape photographer by the name of Budd Watson. Before he died Budd had his photos presented in the McMichael Canadian Art Collection along side the paintings of the Group of Seven, this is the only time that has occurred. The time I got to spend with Budd and see this landscape through his eyes and camera (he used a large format 8 by 10 plate camera) has stuck with me to this day and this particular image has been on my to do list for 40+ years. As I said it was pretty easy in one way ... there are only two elements, the tree and the rock. The complicated part was not getting in the way of the image .. I wanted it to be true to the core time the Group of Seven were around which was the 1920's and 30's, I wanted it to be a nod to the style of painting they did and I wanted in some small way to acknowledge and thank Budd Watson for reigniting my love of photography all those years ago.
Joe, you asked about the details ... I used a Canon 5DMIV, a Canon 24-70mm f4 lense at 59mm, ISO 100, f 11 for 1/13 sec .. no filters. Again thanks for having a look. I just realized that this is the first B&W I've done since back in the film days, again probably 50 years ... man I'm old :)
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by NUNZG on Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:27 pm
NUNZG
Forum Contributor
I will bent but I will not break well the phot says it all
beautiful tree shot

8 posts |