Sunset Crater

Posted by Jeff Colburn on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Hi,

This is Sunset Crater, near Flagstaff, Arizona. Do you see the two lines on the side of the crater that go up toward the top? Those are old trails. You used to be able to walk to the top of the crater. But the people walking on the trails was causing erosion, so they closed them. Even after decades of people not using the trails, you can still see them. It will be a long time before all traces of the damage is gone.

Have Fun,
Jeff 
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

Posted by:
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:18 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Interesting environmental story and image, Jeff. Curious about the wide black borders on top and bottom?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I remember being able to walk up there, it must be nearly 25 years ago now and feel sad that I contributed to the damage but it's what everybody did that visited there back then. Now it's a great park for August wildflowers :)

by John Labrenz on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
interesting.
Wish it was posted a bit larger.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 am
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:Interesting environmental story and image, Jeff. Curious about the wide black borders on top and bottom?
Hi Ron,

Thanks, I'm glad you like my photo. This is one of the images I put on Instagram. I use the borders so I can put full frame images in their square format. 

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 am
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I remember being able to walk up there, it must be nearly 25 years ago now and feel sad that I contributed to the damage but it's what everybody did that visited there back then.  Now it's a great park for August wildflowers :)
Hi E.J.,

I would have loved to walk up there. About a year ago they opened a new trail that takes you to the top of another cinder cone. There are great views at the top, but it's flat, no crater or anything.

I like to shoot the Aspens in the fall at Sunset Crater. There are only a few of them, but their colors really pop against the black cinder.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:interesting.
Wish it was posted a bit larger.
Hi John,

Thanks, I'm glad you like the image.

I have to keep the images I post here small because of the 250KB file size limit.

You can see a larger image on my blog at TheCreativeCorner.com

Have Fun,
Jeff

7 posts |