Lake Tahoe at Night

Posted by CraigBill on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
On this trip to Lake Tahoe, I wanted and planned to do another experimental exposure. Although I am always looking for new and creative ways to approach photography, this time I was inspired by another photographer and friend, Abe Blair. I had seen how he set up long exposures while flying a drone overhead to essentially “light painted” the subject. And with Lake Tahoe’s crystal clear blue water and unique landscape around it, I had to try myself!

By the time I hiked down to an ideal area late at night, I began to set up all the equipment. The moon was out and low which I hoped would add to the composition. Even in the moonlight, the clear water welcomed the glow below. Along with the classic Tahoe rocks framing up the scene, I began capturing as many exposures as I could before the drone and light ran out of battery above.

I could tell with quick exposure reviews that I had something special inside my camera. It might have been a little cold, but It was filled with frustration and fun - But I was confident that I had images that absolutely showcased that magical Tahoe blue water dancing in the light of the drone and the light of the moon.

Posted by:
CraigBill
Forum Contributor

by Mark Boranyak on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:44 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Your creativity has produced a stunning image. I love everything about this image--the clouds, rocks, etc.

Thanks for posting.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What a cool concept an photograph.  Do realize that it is totally illegal to fly drones at night in the USA under FAA rule Part 107.29 unless you have applied for and received a night waiver from the FAA.

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:42 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Welcome to NSN. Fabulous image. Might remove the sharpening halos, for internet presentation, but that is not even a nit in my book. EJ's point naturally raised some thoughts which I trust you'd covered before posting on the world wide web.

Either way, good job. Exciting and evocative.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:22 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Excellent work, Craig. Beautiful image. Welcome to NatureScapes!

by John Labrenz on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:29 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Welcome to NatureScapes...and landscapes.
Super cool image and wonderful first post.
Please provide tech details if possible for future uploads.

6 posts |