Hoodoo Hood

Posted by Jens Peermann on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
I lost count a long time ago, but I must be close to my 100th visit to Death Valley. And still I discover new things, although rarely as big ones as on my last visit: Hoodoos.

And they're not even hidden: Right next to the road, south of the Badwater area.

A7RII, 135/2 APO Sonnar @ f/4
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DVNP is such a cool place and I agree, every time you shoot even from a particular spot you can get something totally different. For this one, I think to get the Hoodoo to pop off the background more, burning down the Hoodoo a bit would give the image more depth and three dimensionality

by Jens Peermann on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:DVNP is such a cool place and I agree, every time you shoot even from a particular spot you can get something totally different.  For this one, I think to get the Hoodoo to pop off the background more, burning down the Hoodoo a bit would give the image more depth and three dimensionality
Hoodoo darkened, ever so slightly.

by John Labrenz on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Neat find!
Agree with EJ's comment in that it would be nice if the hoodoo stood out more from the b/g.

Don't see a big difference in the updated version

by Jens Peermann on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:Neat find!
Agree with EJ's comment in that it would be nice if the hoodoo stood out more from the b/g.

Don't see a big difference in the updated version
It's very subtle. If you're staring at the images, looking for a difference in luminosity, you won't find it. But if you're looking at the two images without focusing on anything, your eye will be drawn to the hoodoo in the second version, while in the original it will be lost in a mess.

It's something I learned from studying Ansel Adams' pictures. He darkened the edge areas of his images by less than half a stop to keep the viewer's eye from wandering out of the frame. The difference is impossible to notice for most people, but the brain catches it and directs the eye back into the image. The golden rule here is, if it's noticeable it won't work.

5 posts |