Oaks and stars #2

Posted by miker on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
a6500 Rokinon 12mm f2 15 seconds ISO 1600

Perhaps this is a better image.  The bright trees from my light painting makes it difficult to bring out the stars.  Back to the drawing board I think.
Michael Rubin

Posted by:
miker
Forum Contributor

by Kim on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:45 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Michael I do a lot of this type of image here in Australia. I do light painting on all my images but I use a tripod and take a general shot for the stars and background first focused to infinity on the stars. Then I take several more shots without moving the camera but I adjust focus to the trees in your case and increase the f stop to 5.6 and lower the ISO to 500. I have the white balance set to 3500 Kelvin.

I use a torch which I gel with orange to paint the main object. Always light from the sides and never from the direction of the camera. After processing raw files I combine the layers in photoshop using a blend mode of 'Lighten' and apply a layer mask to each image to mask out the sky from all images but the original background layer of the stars that should be the bottom layer.
Try to create shadows with your light painting for a more natural look.

All in all a good effort with you two images. I will post one of my images so you can see if it is what you are after.

by John Labrenz on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:38 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Please see my comments on yesterday's version of this.

by miker on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:09 pm
miker
Forum Contributor
Great advice. Thanks. I've had very limited success so far in light painting but it's challenging. The trees in this version are definitly too bright.
Michael Rubin

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A little too much light paint on the tree but a cool spot and there's lots of potential here. You might actually be able to select just the reds and yellows and turn the luminosity of those channels down a bunch....

5 posts |