Half Dome Sunset

Posted by Ed Cordes on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
This is an image from 2008 I processed recently using modern techniques.  Nothing fancy, just Lightroom adjustments and a bit of tone control in Photoshop.  The old 1D Mark 2 with the older 17-40.  I have been getting a kick out of processing older images trying to make them meet modern standards.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

Posted by:
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Killer sky in this one. I think cropping this to from the right to a 4x3 or 5x4 would balance the image - with both Half Dome and the dramatic sky and the upward slope all on the left half of the frame, the image feels like it is balanced heavily to the left.

by Ed Cordes on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Killer sky in this one.  I think cropping this to from the right to a 4x3 or 5x4 would balance the image - with both Half Dome and the dramatic sky and the upward slope all on the left half of the frame, the image feels like it is balanced heavily to the left.
Thanks E.J.  One thing I have to learn is to be flexible in thinking about framing.  I tend to be locked into the 2:3 thinking.  I appreciate your excellent suggestion.

by John Labrenz on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:24 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
OH what a beautiful sky!!!!!
I could go either way on the crop or not...as long as none of that killer sky gets lost.
I might tend to burn the tops of the pines on the right side as they seem to be slightly washed out

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:01 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Amazing sky-I guess everyone has ideas about cropping this. I like it "as is", but would also enjoy a crop from the right and fewer foreground browns. Easy enough to say when it's someone else's photo. :). At least you got that magnificent sky and a great view of the Half Dome.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ed Cordes on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:50 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all the comments.  I appreciate the input and have looked at alternatives. I have done a quick crop in two versions of this image.  They each have their own unique positive aspects.  This first one is cropped to 4X5.  I like it as it does emphasize Half Dome and the great Sunset.  However, it loses a bit of the expansiveness of the location.

by Ed Cordes on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to also show another crop interpretation of this image.  In this one I maintained the 2:3 ration but cropped a lot from the bottom and right.  While it does, as E.J. has said seem a bit "heavy" on the left, to my eye it maintains the expansiveness of the location.  While I like both re-cropped versions my preference is for this one.

What do you all think?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I really like the 4x5 one a lot!!!

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I prefer the last revision posted. It is not as cramped as the first revision. In other words, it doesn’t lose the wide expanse that, for me, is important to not feel closed in. I would even like it best if the original image was only cropped at the bottom just above the signature.  Remember this old song:

https://genius.com/Gene-autry-dont-fence-me-in-lyrics

In the original, the rocks look like the dorsal view of a bird flying into the colorful sky with the matching curves of wings.

It just goes to show how we all have our own ideas and all are valid.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:11 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Appreciation of artworks and photos is so subjective. I prefer your original, followed by number three and then number two. That sky is stunning!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ed Cordes on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:34 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Appreciation of artworks and photos is so subjective.  I prefer your original, followed by number three and then number two.  That sky is stunning!

Carol.
Thanks again to everyone who commented.  I kind of thought there would be differing opinions - that's why what we do is art.  I posted the alternatives for the sole purpose of stimulating this discussion so I, along with other readers, could learn form it.  I appreciate all of the participation.

by John Labrenz on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:36 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Both the original and the last version look great!

12 posts |