Canadian Tundra Churchill, Manitoba

Posted by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
While we went to Churchill, Manitoba to photography polar bear, and we were quite successful, the landscape around the area is also wonderful.  This scene shows the rocky coast line looking out to the Hudson Bay.  The cold windy conditions (8-15 degrees F and 25-35 mph) have worn the rocks to a round smooth shape. The trees are lacking branches on the windward side.  All of this makes for beautifully dramatic.  Thanks for looking.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

Posted by:
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:21 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Ed, Churchill is on my bucket list and this makes me want to be there. Thanks ... brrrr
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:11 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Ed, Churchill is on my bucket list and this makes me want to be there.  Thanks ... brrrr
Hi David.  Thanks for the comment.  RE going to Churchill I would strongly recommend that you avoid anything to do with tundra buggies.  Those I saw would have you shooting from 10 feet off the ground and, unless you can find space on the back platform, you will be shooting through windows. We were with a 2 guides and a van and Explorer.  6 photographers not counting the guides. We drove around the "hot spots" looking for game and then when the guide said it was safe got out and shot from ground level.  Much colder and much more windy, but the images were worth it.  Churchill is a lot like Africa in that you search for opportunities then do a lot of shooting, then search again.

If you PM me I can give you the name of the guide we used. I don't want to do any promotion in an open thread.

Regards, Ed

by Luzestelar on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 am
Luzestelar
Forum Contributor
Beautiful contrast between dark and white
Jose Fernandez
Web: http://josefernandezgarcia.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A very cool macro texture shot - I love it. You must have timed your trip well as I understand the ice formed early this year making Polar Bears scarce during the normal time.

by Ed Cordes on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:14 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:A very cool macro texture shot - I love it.  You must have timed your trip well as I understand the ice formed early this year making Polar Bears scarce during the normal time.
Thaks E.J.  We went the first week of November.  It turned out great.  We heard the following week was not as successful.

by John Labrenz on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:43 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Wild looking landscape!
You were lucky it was that warm....

7 posts |