IR McKee

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
McKee Gardens - Florida
XF-IQ3100, SK 35mm BR, 715nm IR filter, ISO 800, f/11, 1 sec
Last week I experimented with the viability of using the IQ3100 standard color 645 format digital back for infrared photography. I used a borrowed 715nm filter. Exposure increase ended up being about 7 stops to render a properly exposed image in the red channel. This is a spot I had envisioned photographing in IR ever since being introduced to this scene a few years ago. This is McKee Gardens on the central Florida coast...

Please view against a dark background by clicking on the image.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Craig Lipski on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I have no useful critique; this is stunning, and w/ the 645, could probably make an amazing large print!

by John Labrenz on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:36 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Haunting!
Full size view is a must!

by DChan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I have a feeling that from the eyes of an average Joe out there, it's a dark and busy image with nothing interesting in it. I also have a feeling that photographers may look at it differently.  On the thread "Posting, Commenting" some folks seems to be saying that they could learn a lot from other photographers by knowing what cameras, lenses they used and the camera settings, I believe that it's more important to understand the reasoning behind them taking the pictures, what they see in the scene that other mortals don't that they think a great photo could be made from it.

What I am going to ask some folks could find it offensive (based on my past experiences), but I believe the answer could really help people who are really serious about photography, folks who want to make more than just eye-pleasing images. So, E.J. if it's not too much trouble, could you tell us more about this photograph and why you wanted so badly to take this photograph, and why in IR??

by Jim Zipp on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
E.J. IR photography is something I've never delved into. Most I've seen don't appeal that much to me very much for whatever reason but this image is stunning!
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here is a great article on infrared photography that answers most questions:
https://photographylife.com/introductio ... hotography

Why did I envision this in IR? a couple of reasons! A friend and IR photographer introduced me to the location a few years ago and I knew right away that it would make a great IR photo due to the textures involved and the fact that the back is bathed in sunlight giving the IR glow while the foreground is in perpetual shade making it tunnel like.  Unfortunately the first time i visited the place, I didn't have the gear with me to photograph it the way I wanted.  Even though it's been less than two weeks since I took it, it's already my most popular IR image on IR forums and also medium format forums so I am happy about that.

by Carol Clarke on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:07 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
On first glance the amount of content and detail just blows the mind!  However, when you click on the image for the uncompressed view and the dark surround, it really comes to life and you can appreciate all that this amazing scene/image has to offer.

Thank you for the link E.J., very informative and begins to give me a glimmer into the IR world!  8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by ChrisRoss on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Stunning shot EJ, not much more I can say.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

8 posts |