Sand Stone Throne

Posted by Jens Peermann on Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
This is where the king of Little Finland sits when his court is in session.

a7II, 21/2.8 ZE @ f/11
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
An interesting formation, I think details of it might be more interesting than this wider shot since it is in fairly harsh mid-day light.  Or perhaps a high contrast B&W version that emphasizes the texture. Or maybe a square crop eliminating much of the right side.

by John Labrenz on Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Would love to see this in different light.

by Jens Peermann on Fri May 12, 2017 6:52 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your input Gentlemen. I was wondering what the reaction to this one would be, that's why I didn't say much about it.

For cropping the image, I wanted to include the cloud to balance the "throne", particularly since it comes shooting out of the corner so nicely. If you viewed my images for the past year or so you may have noticed that I currently prioritize composition over subject. I often trow the lens out of focus and arrange that the blurred shapes and colors are in harmony, before I focus again and take the shot. The harmony achieved in the blurred stage will still be there and give a pleasant viewing experience, often without the viewer being able to tell why s/he likes it. It works in the back of the head.

This image was taken about two hours before sunset, just before the shadows start getting long. The light was already so soft that I had to work with contrast settings in post to get some separation between the "throne" and the rock behind it. In the RAW file they just blend together, that's how soft the light already was.

Little Finland doesn't give pictures easily, like Valley of Fire does. You have to fight for them and your best chance is to know that place in and out. This was only my second visit there and I am just beginning to get an idea how it may work. My first visit was scheduled for sunrise and the morning, and that didn't work at all because the place opens to west and doesn't receive any direct light until late in the morning. Shooting is probably better during the winter month, but it's also more risky to get there at that time. There are no roads going to Little Finland, the last 12 miles are traveled through a wash and the slightest chance of rain in the area can be potentially dangerous.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Jens Peermann wrote:Thanks for your input Gentlemen. I was wondering what the reaction to this one would be, that's why I didn't say much about it.

For cropping the image, I wanted to include the cloud to balance the "throne", particularly since it comes shooting out of the corner so nicely. If you viewed my images for the past year or so you may have noticed that I currently prioritize composition over subject. I often trow the lens out of focus and arrange that the blurred shapes and colors are in harmony, before I focus again and take the shot. The harmony achieved in the blurred stage will still be there and give a pleasant viewing experience, often without the viewer being able to tell why s/he likes it. It works in the back of the head.

This image was taken about two hours before sunset, just before the shadows start getting long. The light was already so soft that I had to work with contrast settings in post to get some separation between the "throne" and the rock behind it. In the RAW file they just blend together, that's how soft the light already was.

Little Finland doesn't give pictures easily, like Valley of Fire does. You have to fight for them and your best chance is to know that place in and out. This was only my second visit there and I am just beginning to get an idea how it may work. My first visit was scheduled for sunrise and the morning, and that didn't work at all because the place opens to west and doesn't receive any direct light until late in the morning. Shooting is probably better during the winter month, but it's also more risky to get there at that time. There are no roads going to Little Finland, the last 12 miles are traveled through a wash and the slightest chance of rain in the area can be potentially dangerous.
Hi Jens, thanks for the additional insight.  Perhaps moving to your left a bit could include the formation and the cloud in the same space...

5 posts |