Valley of Fire???

Posted by Jens Peermann on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Valley of Fire does a pretty good job maintaining a reputation of being hot, dry, inhospitable and rarely having a cloud cast its shadow onto the desert floor. But as soon as nobody is looking…

I never expected to find a scene like this in Valley of Fire. After visiting that place fairly regularly for the the past 25+ years I saw clouds drifting through the valley for the first time last weekend. I captured this from the silica Domes area.

a7II, EF 135/2 @f/5.6
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by Wade Thorson on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Yes very... cool. I like the layers and the atmosphere, and the pleasing color palate.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by Gary Briney on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:45 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Congrats on capturing the clouds Jens -- nice foreground detail
G. Briney

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very cool shot - it's so close and I still haven't ever been there. That needs to change :)

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:it's so close and I still haven't ever been there.  That needs to change :)

Before you saddle up the horses, please be aware of the regulations Nevada has for commercial photography in state parks and how "commercial photography" is defined. Don't stop at the word "filming" because that's not what you intend to do. Read all the way to the end.

Commercial Photography. Authority: NAC 407.050
Fees range from $200 to $3,500 per day depending on the size and complexity of the filming operation. A person who has obtained a commercial use permit for photography may request that the Division reserve an area within the park for use in accordance with the terms of their permit . Upon receipt of such a request, the Division will charge and collect a reservation fee of $100. The reservation fee is in addition to any fee charged and collected pursuant to subsection 4 of NAC 407.050. Download application in PDFor Word for commercial photography. Download Photography Policy in PDF. (Policy is being revised at this time).
Persons who take photographs or motion pictures in a park for commercial purposes are required to have a filming permit. Applications for permits must be made at the park prior to the filming date. The permit stipulates restrictions and obligations that must be met by the permittee. “Commercial” photography means photography that is meant for financial gain. Included under commercial photography are sales of photographic images for advertising, motion pictures, television productions or portfolios. The archiving of images by persons who use photographic skills, equipment or resources to provide a photographic product for sale is also considered commercial photography.

(can be found here: http://parks.nv.gov/parks/fees/)

In addition, Valley of Fire is open from sunrise to sundown only. This has always been the case but was not religiously enforced until recently. If a ranger catches you before sunrise, trespassing charges apply. People staying in one of the campgrounds are not allowed outside the campgrounds before or after daylight. Also, many of the parking spots along the White Domes Road are blocked off and fairly long hikes are required to get to interesting scenery.

Thanks to this the Valley of Fire experience has become so unpleasant that I took it off my list of favorite destinations and visit only briefly when on the way to or from other destinations in the area. I also do not recommend a visit to other people without warning them about these restrictions.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by John Labrenz on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:35 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Looks great at full size!...and the clouds are a definite rare treat.

by Keith Bozeman on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:17 pm
Keith Bozeman
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:it's so close and I still haven't ever been there.  That needs to change :)

Before you saddle up the horses, please be aware of the regulations Nevada has for commercial photography in state parks and how "commercial photography" is defined. Don't stop at the word "filming" because that's not what you intend to do. Read all the way to the end.

Commercial Photography. Authority: NAC 407.050
Fees range from $200 to $3,500 per day depending on the size and complexity of the filming operation. A person who has obtained a commercial use permit for photography may request that the Division reserve an area within the park for use in accordance with the terms of their permit . Upon receipt of such a request, the Division will charge and collect a reservation fee of $100. The reservation fee is in addition to any fee charged and collected pursuant to subsection 4 of NAC 407.050. Download application in PDFor Word for commercial photography. Download Photography Policy in PDF. (Policy is being revised at this time).
Persons who take photographs or motion pictures in a park for commercial purposes are required to have a filming permit. Applications for permits must be made at the park prior to the filming date. The permit stipulates restrictions and obligations that must be met by the permittee. “Commercial” photography means photography that is meant for financial gain. Included under commercial photography are sales of photographic images for advertising, motion pictures, television productions or portfolios. The archiving of images by persons who use photographic skills, equipment or resources to provide a photographic product for sale is also considered commercial photography.

(can be found here: http://parks.nv.gov/parks/fees/)

In addition, Valley of Fire is open from sunrise to sundown only. This has always been the case but was not religiously enforced until recently. If a ranger catches you before sunrise, trespassing charges apply. People staying in one of the campgrounds are not allowed outside the campgrounds before or after daylight. Also, many of the parking spots along the White Domes Road are blocked off and fairly long hikes are required to get to interesting scenery.

Thanks to this the Valley of Fire experience has become so unpleasant that I took it off my list of favorite destinations and visit only briefly when on the way to or from other destinations in the area. I also do not recommend a visit to other people without warning them about these restrictions.
Thanks for the info.  I was there in early June and did not realize this.  I got one nice image.  I guess that I will have to enjoy it myself.

7 posts |